Continued Education/Certificates: Improve Prospects

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Sep 26, 2011.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

I am a computer teacher at a school for Immigrants. I have been doing this for the last 5 years. And while I love my job and my students, I have recently started thinking about my future; as in, do I want to be doing this for the rest of my life (or can I).

Recently I have asked for less hours (on some days I teach both morning, afternoon, and evenings). With this new found time on my hands I've started to think that I could help myself by taking some courses.

I am not in a hurry to leave my position. My contract ends in March, so that would be the ideal time to resign (if I were going to) otherwise I would have to wait for March of 2013.

Here is what I am trying to figure out. What are the best/short programs I can get into. An important factor for me is the employability after the course. I am not looking for another course where we just share our feelings for the duration. I want to learn some skills that I can use.

Preferable I want something that can lead to a job, but I also have in my mind, that if it does not work out, maybe I can use the course/certificate as a wedge to teach that subject.

My interests are in tech (as I am a tech teacher). So far my thoughts are:
    • Microsoft Certificate - I have seen some material created for Universities where the author possesses this.. But is it a valued certificate? Will it open doors?
    • HTML - I am good with code, but this will take awhile to learn and from my understanding, web design isn't very high in pay salary.
    • Statistics - In University Statistics was my strongest subject. Are there any programs I can take that would lead to a better job?

Any ideas are welcome. I am just using this as a brainstorming activity.