Continents

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissH225, Mar 13, 2008.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

Hello again!
    My teacher wants me to do a review of the continents(they learned them back in the fall) and do like a day on each maybe talking a little about the culture. I'm suppose to end with North America where I'm going to talk about the regions of the USA. Then they will do their state reports.

I was wondering if anyone had some simple ideas (one continent a day, 30-45 mins) for talking about the continents/cultures? I was thinking about doing an anticipation guide with a book with one of the continents,but I don't want to that for all of them. I was also thinking maybe doing an inquiry lesson where different groups have different continents but I dont want to make this lesson too big but fun.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

This probably won't be much help at all, but when my daughter, 7, was learning the continents( we homeschool)I had a book called something like Learning the Continents Through Arts and Crafts. I mught even have that title wrong. It gave maybe a paragraph of info on each continent, then crafts for that continent.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 13, 2008

Just one point -- continents don't have "cultures" (except perhaps for Australia -- which is both a continent and a single country.) The countries on each continent are so very different, it is like trying to say that Germany and France have the same culture because they are both in Europe. It is like saying that China and Japan have the same culture because they are both in Asia. It is like saying that the USA and Mexico have the same culture because they are both on North America. Certainly South Africa and Egypt are nothing alike in terms of culture. There is certainly no culture in Antarctica -- since only scientistists "live" there.

I can see choosing a country from each continent, but that really isn't teaching much about the continent itself. Continents do not have cultures -- they are, by definition, geographic land masses.

If it were me, I'd look for a different way to approach reviewing continents besides the "culture" approach.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 13, 2008

I think the book Becky is referring to is:

Around the World Art & Activities: Visiting the 7 Continents Through Craft Fun (Williamson Little Hands Series) (Paperback)
    by Judy Press (Author), Betsy Day (Illustrator)

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

That's the one!! Boy- I did have that title wrong. We also have here at home the most dynamite atlas- The Reader's Digest Children's Atlas of The World. It has so much in there- even projects.
    When we did continents we learned where they were- which hemisphere(N,S,W,E), the oceans around them, and we looked at several different countries.