context clue

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NoviceTutor, Jan 13, 2014.

1. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jan 13, 2014

Hello Members,

Would you please show me a strategy to help students figure out this word "rarely" using the given context clues below.

"In the past, children rarely had their own books. Today most children use books to learn." Thanks beforehand.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2014

The use of 'in the past' followed by the second sentence referring to 'today', a reader could surmise that the ideas in these sentences were showing contrasting situations.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 13, 2014

I would also suggest removing the word rarely and putting in a blank, then have kids brainstorm what could belong there.

I ask students to think about what words would have the same "feeling" fitting in there. what would make sense. Get them thinking about the possible meanings that would make sense.

I would also have students think/talk about the significance of "in the past". Maybe ask about tablets, computers, something they could connect with not having a long time ago and connecting it to something they now are all expected to have. Something to help pull out the contrast as czacza was saying.

Edit: For example: In the past all children _______ had their own tablets. Today, most children use tablets to learn. This might help them see the contrast between past and present.

5. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jan 13, 2014

Czacza and Pashtun, thank you for the suggestions.