Contacting Principals?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by geogirl0626, Jul 6, 2010.

1. geogirl0626

geogirl0626 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I joined a while back, but haven't really posted. I live in the Hampton Roads area of VA and I'm looking for a job teaching high school Earth Science. I'm going the alternate route to certification. I have a BS and MS in Geology and 8 years work experience in environmental consulting. I'm not licensed, but am eligible for a provisional license if I get hired. I have already taken and passed the state's required certification exams.

At this point, I have submitted full applications to every school district that is within driving distance of my house, which is 4. There are two more smaller ones that I haven't applied to. As of now, there are no earth science or environmental science positions available on any of the districts websites.

Should I send a cover letter and resume to all of the principal's and let them know that I'm interested in a position and that my application is on file? That would be a total of 15 principals to send info to!

I just feel like I need to do something more to get my name out there.

Thanks for your advice!

Megan

3. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 6, 2010

If at all possible, you should hand deliver your packet to each school within driving distance. If that's not possible, I would definitely email every principal.

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

Yes, be as proactive as possible.

Jobs don't "happen" to anyone ... you gotta go out there and nab 'em!

5. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Would you be interested in teaching general science or chemistry or biology? I am afraid you may be pigeon-holing yourself by just wanting to teach Env Sc and Earth Sc. Maybe widen your options and get a foot in while waiting for an opening for your dream subject? The two subjects you want to teach are electives so there may be less demand for it.

Good luck!

6. geogirl0626

geogirl0626 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Yes, I'd love to teach chemistry, general science, or biology. But don't I have to pass the Praxis II exam in those to be qualify? Or does that vary state to state? I can get up to 3 endorsements, so I'm planning to take the chemistry exam and the middle school science exam as well. I also would love to teach AP Environmental Science, but very few schools in my area have this available.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

If you apply to private schools, particularly for Chemistry, you don't necessarily need certification. And Chem teachers can be hard to find.

Do that today-- hit every single private and religious school you can think of.

And the odds aren't great that they'll give an AP course to a new teacher-- you're still too much of an unknown quanitty in their minds, and lots of good scores are great PR for schools.

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

YES! I delivered packets to all local schools, but I also emailed my resume (with my cover letter as the body of the email) to many of those principals and that is how I got all but one interview!

Good luck!!