Contacting principals: email or snail mail?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 3littlemonkeys, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

When contacting principals to send resumes and such (unsolicited), is it better to send an email with resume attachment, or send the whole "hire me!" package in the mail?

I want to send my brochure along with my cover letter, resume, and transcripts (I want that 4.0 to pay off, lol) but don't want to be obnoxious. I'm thinking if I email, the brochure would be better left off, since it loses its appeal as a pdf rather than a folded paper in hand...? Plus it might be obnoxious to have so many attachments to an email.

Thoughts? I want to either send emails tonight or get packages ready to send tomorrow, now that I've made contact with that middle school principal and can mention him to the elementary ones.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions (especially after a years-long hiatus from the site!) but you are all such a wealth of knowledge about these matters and I don't want to screw this up!

3. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

Check your Personnel department on the district website, first.

Ours says you cannot send in resumes via email to Principals, but that they should get your resumes in one work day.

4. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I've checked already and they say nothing about direct contact. There are only instructions on filling out the online application etc. Another district says specifically not to contact principals or schools but to only submit to HR via the website, so that is what I did...but this one says nothing at all, so I'm planning on sending out my stuff.

5. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 17, 2012

In the past I have emailed principals and attached my cover letter and resume. I also included the link to my website, which contains all of the information found in my brochure.