Contact principals or wait to hear from district?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherCA, Apr 2, 2010.

1. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 2, 2010

I applied for a teaching position through edjoin. The job posting closes soon. I was thinking about going to the schools to visit the principals once it closes--(they don't know which of the 3 school sites the position will be at as there might be shifting of current staff).

Do you think this would be a good idea? On one hand it would make me stand out (a face, rather than just a name on paper) and show that I have the initiative. On the other, I don't want to seem too aggressive or scare them off.
    I would bring my portfolio, resume, photos of my previous classrooms, etc.

What do you all think? Would it do any harm to stop by?

3. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Apr 2, 2010

I would e-mail (or snail mail) the principals, instead. Send them your resume, references, etc. That would be less invasive, but still help you stand out, especially if your resume is impressive. It is a good idea to contact the principals, because chances are they've never seen your application (which would have gone to the superintendent or someone else), but I think just showing up might be seen as pushy. Plus, you'd probably never get in.

4. mistah

mistah Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

I've found that calling works wonders...but I agree with the last post, e-mail them (with video resume included), then call and ask if they have received all your info and if there's anything else they need from you...calling is what got me noticed at one of the places I applied for.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2010

I know my P doesn't prefer pop-ins, but I got good feedback from handing in resumes in person to superintendent offices. I also agree with the previous posters advice about calling and emailing. Good luck!

6. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Apr 5, 2010

My school is in the final round of interviews for hiring a few teachers for next year, and a fellow showed up today without calling first and wanted "to meet with the director". He was someone who had sent in a resume and never been contacted because he wasn't what they were looking for. My director was pretty miffed by that. She said that dropping off your resume in person is awesome, and so is popping by to drop off letters of reference or leave a message for her that you are checking on the status of your application, but don't ever expect her to drop everything and meet with a candidate without an appointment. That guy lost whatever chance he may have had by doing that.