Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Teach2Inspire, Jul 23, 2007.

1. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 3, 2007

You would definitely feel it if you had a contact inside out---it hurts! Did they show you how to tell if they were inside out by looking at them? You actually don't look at it straight on...I hold mine up on my fingertip at eye level and look from the side view of the contact. If it makes a perfect cup it's the right side, if the cup has a flat "lip" around the edge it's inside out.

I have worn contacts for a long time, and love them. When I went for my yearly exam last month my vision hadn't changed, but I was out of contacts, so the doctor gave me a trial pair of the ones I'd been wearing. My right eye was so blurry---I thought he'd made a mistake about my prescription...I put up with it for a couple of days, then I couldn't stand it anymore, so I just put in a new contact in my right eye and that fixed everything. Sometimes they can get a tiny rip that you can't see but that can cause blurred vision.

As far as the case, I've never heard to rinse it and close it up while you're wearing your contacts...I've always heard to leave the case open so it can dry out...hmmm...I'm curious what others have been told...

Anyway, congrats on the new contacts---you'll love them once you get used to them!

2. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I was told to rinse the case and leave it open to dry during the day.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

Hey do any of you have "tricks" you have to put your contacts in??? I did fine the first few days, & now my contact keeps going "flat" on me when I get it "in" my eye. Suggestions???

4. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Make sure it is on the very tip of your finger. Sometimes I have to "watch" it go in to my eye and other times I have to look off to the side right before I get it there to get them in. I still flatten mine once in a while, especially if I'm in a hurry:)

5. smile

smile Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I am trying contacts, too. I went to my one week checkup and the doc said everything was good. I told the doc that i can feel the lenses and my eyes get alittle red. She told me its normal and i have to get use to.

two weeks after, i put on a new pair (the prescription one - 2 weeks disposable), and my eyes got REALLY red a week after:eek:hmy: . I got scared that it might be infected. So, I threw it out and waited until my eyes were back to normal. I tried again on Mon. and it was okay but a little irritate. On tues. my eyes got a little redness and it bothered me. I removed it. later on that day, my eyes were REALLy red again:eek: . This is scaring me!!! I went to the doc. today (wed) and the receptionist told me that this is a medical problem and i need to go to the doctor for this and they can't help me there. The eye doc wasn't there and no one examed me:confused: . I made an appointment for tomorrow to make sure this is not contact related before i go to my regular doctor. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not.

My question for those who have worn contacts for a while... Have you ever experience your eyes being REALLY RED?????

6. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I just started wearing contacts about 2 weeks ago, but it seems that if they are red and irratated it has to be the contacts. The first pair, Acuve, did not work for me at all. It constantl felt like there was something in my eye. Then I switched to ProClear and the left one was great the right one was still irratating my eye and was blurry. They rechecked my right eye and they had to make another adjustment. I just got the new right contact yesterday and what a difference it made. I can see and I don't feel them in my eyes at all. Maybe you can try a different brand.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2007

OK I'm VERY frustrated. I can get my left lens in no problem a couple of times & it's in!!! Right lens another story....the dang thing keeps folding or I'll think it's in & blink & it fold down on my eye lid!!! I tried & tried this morning. My lil' ones were pretty patient, but then I just had to take the left eye out & put my glasses on!!! UGH...it's making me so MAD!!!

8. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

I've been having the same problem all summer!!! I talked to my friend who is an Optometrist and she said I may have gotten a bad box of contacts. My eyes were so red, itchy and dry on Sunday I had to sleep all day because I literally couldn't keep my eyes open!!! I waited a couple of days and tried a new box of contacts, will see if this helps!

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

Ok I can not see closeup and it is getting really bad. I have to wear my glasses to read EVERYTHING. But then I have to take them off for distance. My doctor suggested I get bifocals but I do not want to wear glasses all the time. Does anyone know if you can wear contacts if you can't see close up but can see distance?

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I think it's old age, Emma!

I wear my contacts most of the day - for distance. But, when I read, I have to wear reading glasses. My last two eye doctors have told me to get the reading glasses sold in drug stores. At my appointment in January, the doctor showed me the two different strengths that would work best for me. (I think they were 1.75 and2.0.) They aren't that expensive, so I have a pair in my purse, another pair at home, and a pair for school.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

Gee thanks Glenda! I do have many pairs of reading glasses, one in my purse, one at work, one by my computer, one by my bed and a pair downstairs! I'm sick of them. As each year goes by, OK I am getting older, my eyes keep getting worse!!!

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

When I told my last eye doctor about my trouble with seeing up close, he gave me one contact for distance and one to see up close. It might work for some people, but it drove me crazy! I went back to contacts for distance and the reading glasses.

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I have noticed that since I got contacts it's kind of hard to read sometimes. If it doesn't get any better, I may have to try reading glasses ... just when I thought I could be done with glasses! :(

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

YAY!!! I finally go mine in again!!! Took a few days....lil' ones patient get thin (so do mine)!!!

I'm lucky with my contacts...the doc said the 3 things I needed to have the same script is the same!!! So for me when I first put new ones in it doesn't matter which eye!!!

Now if I can keep putting them in I can wear them more often!!!

15. smile

smile Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I went to the doc yesterday and I was told that I have allergies and dry eyes which caused the extreme red eyes. The doc did prescribed an eye drop to try it out before wearing my contacts and after. I will try it and see what happens. If i still get red eyes, then contacts are not for me :( .

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 28, 2007

I just got new Focus2 contacts, and they have an advanced Focus one that is new and it is supposed to be breathable and let your eye basically breathe-it basically eliminates the dry itchy eye feeling. they are supposed to be really good. Have you tried those? I love my new contacts they are a step down from the ones I am explaining to you.