Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Teach2Inspire, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I am so excited! I have my first pair of contacts. Those of you that wear glasses or contacts, which do you prefer? The only part that bothers me right now is that I can feel them in my eye, but the lady told me that I would get used to this. :) :)

3. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I love contacts! I've been wearing them since I was 11 years old! I wear my glasses at night or if I have an eye infection. When I wake up in the morning, I don't feel like I've "gotten up" yet until I put in my contacts. You'll get used to them fast and love them!

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

I used to wear contacts but got Lasik surgery so now I wear...nothing. What kind of contacts do you have? I had the gas permeable ones and they did feel like there was something in your eye. You will get used to it. It might help (which I'm sure they told you) if you wear them a little bit at a time. A few hours a day, then a few more, and so on. Good luck and congratulations!

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

I have both. I prefer my glasses around the house because it doesn't take any time, but I much prefer wearing contacts to go out or if I want to feel pretty even around the house. That's probably because my glasses are several years old and I need to update them a bit (though they are still complemented on--its just my perception of them.)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

I wear contacts when I'm out and about. But when I'm at home, I wear my glasses. Make sure you don't wear you contacts too long! Limit the time to around 13 hours a day. More than that will dry out your eyes. Also, according to one of my eye doctors I used to see, wearing contact too long could cause eye problems in the future (something about the pressure or tension that affects the blood vessels in your eyes, can't remember exactly what the problem is).

I would LOVE to get Lasik, but I'm terrified about the long term effects. Also, the process itself seems pretty scary. I'm a chicken.

7. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I would love to have lasik done too, I just don't have the money for it. Maybe next year I will teach summer school and use the money from that for the surgery. I am not sure what brand my contacts are. It is just the trial pair so I don't have my prescription yet, but I know that they are for astigmatism and I can wear each pair for 2 weeks. I have worn glasses since I was a kid, well kind of. I hated them so I only really wore them to see at night while driving and to see the board while I was in school. So I am loving it that now I will be able to see all the time!

Superteacher81 - How often do people tend to get eye infections?

Peachyness - When you say not to wear them to long, did you mean time during the day or the number of years you wear them? That sounds kind of scary.

8. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

i rarely ever wear my glasses. you will learn to love your contacts. keep eyedrops with you at all times for those just in case moments. it will never fail that if you don't have them, your eyes will bother you. If you do have them, you will never use them.

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I love my contacts! I've had them since I was in 8th grade. I only wear my glasses at night because my prescription on them is SO OLD! I really need to get a new pair. haha!

10. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I've had my contacts for a little over a month now and I wouldn't trade them for the world! I only wear my glasses when I've already taken my contacts out and we're running out the door for a quick trip - I can't stand them. And my eyes are finally adjusting to the colored contact lenses. I'm so used to seeing myself with blue eyes now that I don't know if I can go back to clear ones:) I only feel them once in a while - if my eyes get too dry or if air (like the a/c or a strong wind) is blowing directly in my face.

11. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Another thing that I am excited about is that I can finally go and pick out some really nice sunglasses instead of having to wear my prescription ones. :)

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

I have been wearing my contacts since I was 12. I have been wearing them for 20 years. I started to wear them for dancing. I love my contacts. I put them in the morning and take them out every night. I do not like wearing the ones you sleep in.

I wear my glasses at night time and once in a while when I go out. However, I wear my contacts all the time.

I have not had any eye infections with my contacts. Even when there is pink eye going around in school, I have been very lucky!!! Make sure you wash your hands before and after you put your contacts in or take them out.

Good luck with them!!

13. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

OMG!!!!!!!! NO, I did not mean to insinuate that contacts gave me eye infections!!!!!!!!!! I have had contacts for a VERY long time and I have had a few eye infections due to problems with my eyes, not contacts!! I was just referring to times I wear my glasses.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

I meant during the day. The doctor scared me too. When I first wore them, I made sure I didn't wear them longer then I needed too. Now, I'm a bit more relaxed, but I do make sure not to wear them too long. Last eye exame, my doctor mentioned that my eyes were a bit dried out.

15. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for all your support. I managed to get them out of my eyes after wearing them for 4 hours. I guess tomorrow I will try 5 hours and keep building from there. I am kind of worried about going back to school. I leave my house at 6:30 in the morning and buy the time I get home it will be around 5:30-6:00. Is it okay to wear them that long?

They gave me some eyedrops, Blink, so I guess that will help them from drying out.

I feel better now about eye infections. I guess the key is to make sure hands are always clean and keeping up with the proper care of the contacts.

16. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

I wear my contacts from 6 am to about 9 or 10 pm on a school day. It really depends on your eyes. I always keep a bottle of Saline solution in my desk and an extra set of contacts in my purse. I have the 6 month supply.

17. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

yes it is okay to wear them that long. Actually, i rarely take mine out because it irritates my eyes more to take them out at night and put them in every morning. I have slept in them (obviously not the same pair) for over 10 years. I change them every two weeks like I'm supposed to, but during the 2 weeks I don't take them out.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2007

I waited so long to finally get contacts that I had to get mono vision ones. They work like bifocals except one eye is for distance and one is for close up! It took a week or so to train my brain and eyes. Not easy!! All has been good except 2 weeks ago when I put the left in the right eye and vice versa. I knew something wasn't right!! LOL:p

But I've had them three weeks now and I would never go back!! I LOVE being to wear sunglasses that are in style!! I can buy any kind I want and throw them on! That's the best part!! My glasses are 8 years old....I have you all beat!! I want a nice pair like I keep seeing everyonbe in...the shapes is rectangular with thick sides!! They look good on me too! But the ones I want are $300!!! I have to ask how much I get off with the insurance!! My ortho appointment for braces is Aug. 8 then I'll deal with glasses the following week!! All the things I wish I could have done/gotten when I was younger...oh well!!

19. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 26, 2007

It took me two years to learn to put them in!!! I was such a scardy cat, then it took too long...etc. Now I just pop them in and love em!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

I've been wearing contacts since I was 12 years old, which gives me almost 25 years of contact lens experience.

I wear them most of the time when I'm out of the house. At certain times of the year my allergies are really bad, and I have trouble wearing them then. When I'm home I always wear my glasses. I have horrible vision, so I have to wear one or the other all the time.

You'll get used to them after awhile. I've always worn soft contacts. I used to wear the ones that lasted about a year, but I switched to the two-week disposable kind a year ago . . . and they took awhile to get used to as well.

21. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Lasik is great! If I had to do it again and couldn't afford it, I would collect cans to save up enough money. I'm serious. It was great to get my "kid" eyes back.

22. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I need some more advice. I have been wearing my contacts now since this past Tuesday and I can still feel them in my eyes, especially near the inner part of my eye. Is this still normal. When I originally put them on in the eye doctors office, she told me that I really should not even know that I am wearing them. Also, sometimes when I am looking at something close up, I see a line in the middle of my view. Is there a possibility that they are too big? I have tried using the Blink solution, but this also does not seem to help. Can contacts cause a pressure feeling on your eyes as well? Yesterday, after wearing them for 10 hours, my right eye felt a little pressure. Maybe they were dried out, but since this is all new to me I do not know what is normal. The contacts that I am wearing are soft 2 week disposable for a astigmatism. I really appreciate your input. I go back for a one week check up next Wednesday.

23. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I just recently got my first contacts also. I also have astigmatism. The first pair she put me in I could constantly feel and was experiencing foggy vision. When she checked them, she said that my cornea is flatter towards the top, so those contacts weren't sitting where they should. She tried a different brand that is shaped a little differently, and they are so much better. I can still feel them sometimes (It hasn't even been 2 weeks yet and I live in a very dry climate where I'm always in the a/c and fans), but they are sooooo much better than the others. Maybe you'll adjust to the ones you have, or maybe a different brand would work better. The eye doctor will be able to tell when you have your check up.

24. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Try turning them, maybe they are going on the wrong side. I have put the right contact on the left side and visa versa. I have even put them both on the same eye. Sometimes I'm just not awake in the morning and put them in without thinking, just like us brushing your teeth. I had a call from a sub that I have gotten to know for a couple of years and we have done a lot of subbing in SSSD, we've done LTS positions and she has also done a option 2 teacher and a shared job position for two teachers at different schools. She has interviews with Palmdale and Keppel School Districts next week.

25. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

What brand of contacts did they give you? When I first got mine, I had Accuvue. I could feel the right one all the time and I could see it also. When I went back for my check up a week later I got colored ones. I have the Accuvue 2 Colors and I don't really feel them at all. It might just be the brand. I think my finger was stuck to the inside corner of my eye for the first two weeks because I couldn't stand that feeling - it felt like there was an eyelash or something. The Accuvue 2 feel so much better.

26. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Keep trying to use them. Hopefully you'll grow adjusted in time. What's normal for one person is different for the next but if you still have problems call your doctor. I have contacts but very rarely wear them (Two times in about three months) I hate to wear my glasses but I'm so uncomfortable with contacts in that the most I can keep them in is for a few hours. My doctor tried me in several different types but because I have such dry eyes, nothing fit really well. Also, I see much better with glasses. The prescription for my contacts is not quite right.

27. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I recently had to get glasses. My eye doctor told me with all the allergies I have, I'm allergic to almost everything found outside as well as cats, dogs, dust, everything, I would have a hard time adjusting to contacts and the solution to clean them would not be good for me. So I choose a cool pair of glasses that I've gotten several compliments on!

28. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

djmondi - Oh my gosh, it is my right eye that is bothering me too and it feels like something is in the corner of my eye. Mine are Accuve soft contacts also. I also can see them sometimes, thats why I thought maybe they were too big. Now I can't wait to go back next week to see if I can get different ones.:)

29. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I would see if they made the Accuvue 2 in clear because that's what I have in the colored ones and they feel wonderful. I can't even feel them right now and they have been in for over 6 hours today already - and I haven't used any drops.

30. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 27, 2007

Teach2Inspire-

You might need a different brand of contacts. In fact, at my last 6 month check-up my eye doctor told me that the contacts I wore was discontinued and have to switch you to a different brand. Well, the first pair I tried, I could not see out of and were very dry. It took about 2 tries to get the ones that fit me better. Like eveything else, it is trial and error. Call your eye doctor and see what he/she says... Good luck!

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Make sure they aren't flipped to the wrong side, and also check for tiny rips.

I wore the same brand, Hydron Zero 4, forever . . . and then my doctor wanted me to try the two-week disposable kind. I wear Acuvue Advance now. It took me a long time to get used to them. I had to wear them an hour or two at a time just like I was wearing contacts for the first time. I felt them on my eye all the time. I never felt my old contacts. I did finally get used to the new ones. I don't notice them at all now.

32. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Contacts Update

Well I went to the eye doctor today for my 1 week check up on my trial pair of contact lenses (Acuve Advance), which were still bothering me. My eyes feel so much better. I am now wearing a trial pair of Proclear Soft Toric Contact lenses. I think that these are the ones!!!:rolleyes:

33. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

Glad to hear that these contacts are better for you. I also have ProClear! Good luck with them!!!

34. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

I have both, but because I am lazy and hate touching my eye and taking the contacts out I only wear them for swimming. I also have accuvues but I got them tinted in the same color as my eye so I will have an easier time finding them in the little container and when I take them out I can move it over and see where to grab it at. It is basically beginner contacts- I like them they are easy. I get monthly disposables.
    I was reading about contact lens cases and some people say you should get a new case every month! Is that true? I have had contacts for a few years and I have had only 2 cases- I clean them after every use ( I am afraid of an eye infection so I am really on top of that- my sister got a really bad infection- she could not even open her eye to get herself to the hospital!). Anyone else hear that about the cases?

35. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I would love to wear contacts, but I have tried and failed miserably. Everytime a new one comes out I try and it just doesn't work for me. I guess my eyes are just too dry. I can feel them all the time. I constantly feel as if there is a speck of dirt in my eye. I would love to be able to buy sunglasses w/out proscription. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for me.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I just got a new set of contacts. I tried them a few years ago. The bad thing is I have astimatism (sp?) so it's not going to fit perfectly in one eye...off about 5 degrees. So I can feel that one, but I like them overall. Get my new glasses next week...I'm pretty excited about that. I went for an eye check up a few years ago, but never got glasses, so the ones I have are OLD!!!!

Yesterday one of my contacts kept folding over onto itself...I was gettin so mad!!! Finally after about 5-6 times it went in!!!

37. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I still have one that folds when I'm trying to get them in. I think part of my problem is that I put the left one in with my right hand - and I'm left hand. (And I put the right one in with my left hand.) That's the one I have the most trouble with. I think I have such a hard time because I don't do a lot with my left hand other than write and eat. When I take them out, I go backwards from the way I put them in - right out with right hand, left out with left hand. Other than it folding over prior to going in my left hand sometimes, I've done fine with them:D

38. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Okay, so I have the new trial pair of contact lens (ProClear) and I love the way they feel. The only problem now is the right eye is not as clear. When I cover up my left I the right contact vision is blurry. I called the eye doctor but they said this was normal and that I need to let my eye adjust. So now I have worn these new ones since Tuesday and no change. What is the deal now?

39. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

It took me almost three weeks to "adjust" to my contact lenses. I have the colored ones - not the ones you have, but that's the same line I got and it has gotten better. I hope the same thing happens for you!

40. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

So you think I should continue wearing them even though my right eye is blurry? Would I be able to tell if they are inside out? They both make complete circles when I flip the contact over it is just one way the circle is bigger. Can you tell me what you do with your contact case after you have them in your eyes. They told me to rinse with water and then my solution and close it up.

41. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I rinse mine out and turn it kind of upside down at an angle so it will air dry before I take them out again. I had read online to do that somewhere:) I like the colored ones because I can tell which side is which. I put my right clear one in inside out one day and I couldn't see a thing (and I mean nothing!) and it didn't feel right at all. I also couldn't tell which way it was supposed to go with those - I would just take them out carefully so it would flip the other way on accident.