Contact Hiring School too?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vateacher757, Jul 18, 2013.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

Our school division has the online application process for job postings and I have applied and applied and applied and have gotten nowhere....heck this school year I was a PT employee but they have no separate application process for "current" employees so when I apply it is as though I am an external applicant.

There is a position that had 3 openings and I applied to each but did not get a call for an interview now there is a new opening because the person that was in that position just got promoted........I am applying again but wondered this time should I also email or take my resume and cover letter to the Principal at that school?

Another thing about this position....there is NO TEACHING involved at all but it appears everyone they have hired has a license......I am still working on mine.

TIA

3. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 18, 2013

I would go ahead and make direct contact with the school. After all, what could it hurt? It gets your name out there because who knows how many other people have applied using the online application and all of those applications may not get looked at. By also making that direct contact, you are setting yourself apart from the rest.

And hey!! What part of VA are you from?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

Thanks!

I am in the Hampton/Newport News area.

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 18, 2013

Shut the front door!!!! ME TOO!!!!! Wow. Small world!

6. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I would make contact with a school every time you apply. Send a follow-up email after you have filled out the application highlighting an accomplishment or something you would like them to focus on.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2013

What kind of position is it?

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

Wow we need to hang out! :lol:

9. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

It's like student support...you have a caseload of students in that school that may need extra "help", at risk, discipline problems, etc you meet with them to outline a plan for the year, find out what is going on with them, you do home visits, you mentor them and help them through various situations and so on....you're like a rah rah coach....wearing many hats except you do not teach or tutor or any of that.

10. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

Wow, that sounds great! Have you done anything similar to this position before?

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

That's my personality:D I have not done it in an "official" capacity but in previous jobs I have dealt with some aspects of the responsibilities and the few years of being in the school system and in the classroom I have had to deal with a lot of the requirements.

I mean as a TA I had a student long termed suspended who I would take his work to him after school and if needed he would come in and meet with me in the conference room for help......I always went above and beyond for "my" students and had great relationships with their parents.

I could sell myself if I could just get an interview. :mad:

12. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

Well, don't wait until the interview then to sell yourself! You've already given some great reasons. Write that follow up email and include a paragraph about how you are a perfect fit for this position because___________________.

13. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

Thank you all so very very much!

14. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 19, 2013

Good luck! Quick question, I think I know the position you are referring to..Did you call HR to find out what school it was? The thing that bothers me about that particular school system's site is that when you apply, it doesn't specifically tell you where it is (unless I am looking in the completely wrong place.)

Anywho..Good luck!!!!

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

When you do try to make personal contact beyond an online application, what is appropriate dress? I've gone this year in a button down aloha print shirt and khakis (as a guy obviously ;)... Any more formal feels excessive. I'm actually thinking I might be able to go even less "formal" than that. This being summer, I wonder how a polo or even a plain tee that I might wear out to dinner are OK.

16. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

A suit. Nothing less.

Here's the rationale: You did not casually wander in to the school. You went there with the express purpose of dropping off your resume to secure an interview which would lead to a job. So you need to dress as you would for an interview. What if the principal happens to have thirty minutes and takes you right there and then? Dress the part.

ETA: Summer is not a good reason to be informally attired. I had an interview today in 105 degree heat. I wore a black skirt suit, stockings, and a button down.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

Interesting way to look at it

I still don't know that I'd go full-on suit though. I mean... it is a wearing job in itself, driving around, sitting in your car for extended period, getting in & out of your car, etc. I wouldn't want to do that in elegant attire (i.e. a suit).

Second thing is that these visits are all impromptu. I have no scheduled time. I've just been dropping by schools, basically hoping someone is there. So when I have found people there (I've met a number of principals, some custodians)... all are there at own discretion--All rather casually dressed. (I was able to catch one P cleaning out the staff lounge refrigerator. You can imagine how she was dressed.) Me wearing a suit in that scenario, I think would create a level of uneasiness.

Most of these visits are not particularly noteworthy anyway. It has been a moderate hassle, getting dressed up and pounding the pavement so to speak. I think I would quickly sour on continuing, if I had to suit up "for no reason".

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I agree--I do not think a suit for a drop-in visit is appropriate. You're going to look like a traveling salesman or something. I think khakis, a dress shirt, and loafers are fine. A polo or a Hawaiian shirt is a little too summer-vacation casual.