Constitution Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by jamoehope, May 19, 2008.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 19, 2008

Hello,

I'm planning to take the Constitution Exam on the 29th of May since I didn't take a Political Science course earlier (wish I had) at the Santa Cruz Office of Education. I already have the recommended book Twenty Five Lessons in Citizenship and I've read the thread on the exam numerous times.

What I'm wondering if there is any rhyme to what I need to know. I've seen references to studying court cases but this book does not feature any court cases and I know that the exams vary from county to county.

Thank you,
    Jamie

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2008

If the book you have is the one recommended by SCCOE for the test SCCOE gives, then you should have what you need to know. (I'm surprised that there are no court cases in the book, but stranger things have happened.)

4. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 21, 2008

After comparing notes with all the other student teachers in my cohort, I wholeheartedly second the advice to stick with what the booklet for the test site says. The exams vary WIDELY from site to site (like, they test completely different information). Odd, but true.

5. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 22, 2008

Thank you TeacherGroupie and kilgore_trout. I was unsure about what to study since it made me sense to me that court cases might be on the test. Now I know to focus just on the one book I have.

6. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 22, 2008

No problem. I'm sure it can't hurt to look at other info, but mine didn't require me to declare my knowlege of any court cases. It DID require that I assign the correct number to all of the amendments and all of the sections of the constitution proper. The test my friend took was the total opposite: naming many specific court cases, but just a general knowlege of all the amendments.

7. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

May 23, 2008

Where did you take your test since we're both in California? I wonder if I'll end up with a test similar to yours...

Thanks again for the info. :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2008

jamoehope, dear, now you're just being twitchy. If you have the book you have on the recommendation of the COE at which you're testing, you'll have a test that corresponds to it.

Breathe, please.

9. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 23, 2008

Ha, ha, I agree. You'll do awesome. If you want to know, I took mine at Notre Dame de Namur (in Belmont).

10. zenith

zenith Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

costitution test availability

For those living in central California- easy way of taking this test:

1 College of Sequoias at Visalia-- book-The US Constitution by Terry Jordon, cost of test $30.Total # of questions 100 for passing you need 50% correct.

2 CSU Fresno --book- The Constitution of The United States (An Introduction) by Floyd Cullop cost of test $25. Total # of questions 100 for passing you need 80% correct

3 I have heard about test being conducted at State Center Community College District in Madera but do not have the details

Hope this helps.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

Thanks, zenith, for the information!

12. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Modesto Junior College also does the test.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks, aaronmac. Do you know which book is recommended?

14. aaronmac

aaronmac Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

It is: The Constitution of the United States-An Introduction, by Floyd G. Cullop a Mentor Book published by New American Library, a division of Penguin Group, NY.

This is the information on my internship paperwork. I might also have one of my textbooks from college still that could be used and I could send it your way if you want. It is from Intro to the legal system so it covers the Constitution, court cases etc, might be over kill. My cohorts that used the book for the exam at MJC said it is a pretty good book. hope this helps.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Okay, so Modesto JC uses the test for which Cullop's book is useful.

One of the funny things about the US Constitution test requirement is that there isn't just one test: different areas and even different schools within an area use distinct tests that vary in their approaches and even the number of questions. Go figure.

16. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Well, I took the test in Santa Cruz, California, and passed it. It wasn't too bad. My only complaint was the difficulty in finding the book to study. The following note is to inform others from the Monterey Bay area if they need to take the Constitution Exam.

I could have rented a copy of it from the Santa Cruz Office of Education but then I would have had to drive there and it was out of my way. My school's library, California State University Monterey Bay, did not have a copy of the book and neither knew what book I needed! I found the information on this forum at this post. The book is Twenty Five Lessons in Citizenship for the Santa Cruz Office of Education exam.

I found the book at the Seaside Monterey County library. You can look up the book here.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2008

There, you see? I told you you were being twitchy.

Congratulations.

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

I am being curious again - Why do you have to take a constitution exam?

19. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

It's a requirement in California for a teaching certification - you have to take a poli sci or history class in college that covers the constitution, or you can pay a small fee (it was $25 for me) and just take an exam.