Constitution Day - September 17

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by wig, Aug 26, 2007.

1. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 26, 2007

I put together a wiki with activities and lessons for Constitution Day. Please feel free to add to it.

3. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Wonderful idea!! :rolleyes:

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Wow - thank you! We are required to teach a lesson and this will be helpful :)

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 27, 2007

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

www.edhelper.com has one as well. I use their Constitution Play - the kids love it - we practice the play, then perform it for the 3rd and 5th grade classes, closing with Schoolhouse Rock's preamble song.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2007

Please, please, please -- for any teachers who don't really understand the Bill of Rights, teach it really lightly and don't get overly creative.

I have a JD, and was mortified by the "Classroom Bill of Rights" my oldest (first grade) son brought home last year. It completely missed the point of what the Bill of Rights actually is, and focused instead on rules to enforce classroom discipline. Please do not do this. If any teachers feel compelled to assert their authority, please do it under more general purpose of law discussions, not exercises on the BOR.

That said, wig, your wiki looks really good. I like a lot of the exercises. I don't really think students need quite so many games and activities to appreciate the Constitution (I think the subject matter's interesting on its own), but I may be over-optimistic about student interest. ;)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2007

That is a very interesting comment, 3Sons. I agree that it shouldn't be used to enforce discipline. It deserves study on its own. I don't think they really 'get it' until about 5th grade when they study American history.

9. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 30, 2007

Well, no one can use everything there is on the wiki. I just gathered what I could find. Games would not be my choice to TEACH the Constitution, but they are links I would put on my page for the students to play on their own.