Constitution Day, September 17

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Amanda, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 4, 2005

Constitution Day is September 17. I received a request from a newsletter subscriber regarding activities for teaching about the Constitution to 3rd graders. She was particularly interested in things that they could do, as she didn't just want to talk to them. Any ideas?? I gathered some links here, but please feel free to add your ideas to this thread. :)

UPDATE: I gathered all of these links and more and put them on this new A to Z Theme Page:
    http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Themes/Constitution_Day/

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2005

I've been to Ben's Guide- in second grade we look at landmarks!

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2005

Thanks so much for the links! We have been told that it is manditory to teach it on the 16th, and my neighbor has put me in charge of planning the lessons :eek:

Thanks!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2005

For third graders it might be easiest to discuss the Bill of Rights. They can come up with their own Bill of Rights of the classroom.

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 6, 2005

HI
    Teacher Created Materials offers a Celebrating Constitution Day book for teachers, $9.99 and you can download it on line.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2005

My school is going to do a Parkway preamble (I teach at Parkway School...lol) over the intercom where all of the children recite it/repeat it. The principal and vp are trying to rent costumes to go along with the day. We're trying to make it school wide. But as far as what I'm doing in my own classroom...I haven't quite thought that far ahead yet! :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 7, 2005

Cool links, Amanda! I can think of some grownups who should visit these too.

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2005

Ok its coming up...what are some of yall doing? I still don't know yet :)

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2005

I know they also have some activities on Edhelper.com if anyone is a member there...

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2005

I think we are going to read "We the Kids" but I am brainstorming ideas for after that????

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 8, 2005

I still have to figure something out for my kinders

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2005

This week's Scholastic News (for grade 5 anyway) has some info and a website where kids can play a Constitution game. Sorry, I didn't write the site addy down.

14. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2005

I looked up We the Kids and it looks really good. I am going to get a copy this weekend but what activities could I use?

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2005

HELP, I need an activity for my kindergarteners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

I looked up We the Kids also and thought it look great for first graders. I got a copy from my school library but now I have the same problem... thinking of an activity :confused:

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2005

Ok I am brainstorming...but what if you discuss the constitution etc then read we the kids then have the kids get into groups (or indiv.) and have them make a chart or paper about what they have the right to do...you could go into You have the right to be treated fairly and you have the responsibility to treat others fairly. If some are really good maybe roll play them. ??? I don't know

18. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2005

And then you could crumble the edges, stain it with tea......how cute

19. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Yes that sounds like an excellent idea. I am going to continue to brainstorm as well and I will post if I come up with anything, or anything to add to your idea!

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2005

Okay I have been thinking about this all day. B/c my district want us to do something on Friday the 16th! So Hanavan I am thinking of taking your idea but doing it as a whole group since I teach kindergarten. If we have time I was going to have them make a flag. Any good stories I can read about the Constitution?

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2005

If there isn't something suitable on one of the links that Amanda posted, I'd be very surprised.

22. reggierose

reggierose New Member

Sep 10, 2005

:) :thanks:
    I live the idea of talking about rights and responsibilities. I have also been thinking of using the "The Preamble from The Best of School House Rock to introduce the discussion to the students. It is only a couple of minutes long, but it is how I remember it still from my own childhood.

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2005

Thats a good idea about the school house rock video:)

I'm hoping to get a copy of "We the Kids" this weekend.

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2005

Leighball I just got a copy of "We the Kids." I plan on using it with my kids. It is cute.

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 11, 2005

26. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2005

Ok...I read about staining the paper with tea but I am not too sure how to do this...do you just lay the paper in tea for a sec or so and then set it out to dry??? Has anyone else done this? Just checking

27. kburen

kburen Cohort

Sep 13, 2005

We have to do it too. One of my team members pulled her file on the Constitution. We're doing a Readers Theatre on it, the kids can read the parts of the play. And a few worksheets...One of them is context clues to fill in the blanks. And our music teacher is doing a short assembly...I know my 5th graders are singing some songs I'm not sure about other grades.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 13, 2005

I've done the staining with coffee and setting it in the oven for a moment. It does a really good job, but smells like coffee.

29. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2005

If I stain it with tea do I have to put it in the oven??? Also do the kids write on it first and then stain it? I may be practicing this at home tonight!

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 13, 2005

I remember when I used to do as a kid sometimes the ink would run so maybe you want to stain it first. I remember when I did it I would let it soak in the tea and put it in the oven. My mom would take a lighter and burn the edges of the paper. It looked great!

31. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2005

Well I am testing one right now. I wrote in pencil and it is drying. The oven is not an option at school so I am air drying it at home. I wanted to do it in black marker but the ink would run...I wonder if we used sharpies if it would still run. ALso the stronger the tea the darker the color.

32. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2005

Ok so I tried it at home and it was ok...do you bake it so it will be hard???

33. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Sep 13, 2005

We are required to teach it as well and I was thinking what would be cute is to make a class book. I know my 1st graders love our class book we made, "Children, Children, who do you see?" and so I was thinking for an activity, after reading "We the Kids," each student thinks about how they are responsible and write a few words to show how they are and then draw a picture on it. I haven't looked at the book yet but if it is what I'm thinking, the kids would get ideas from the book. Anyways, I thought I would throw in my thought. Any feedback?

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 14, 2005

I just baked it until it looked aged and crisp. I also used a basting brush to put it on the paper. You could use a paint brush instead.

35. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2005

Ok thanks...I will let you know how they go on Friday!! Hope theyre cute-I wanted to hang these on the wall

36. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005

I just finished staining my paper. I took a piece of copy paper and ripped it in half. Then I tore all around the edges to make it look old. I had a pie plate with tea in it. I made the tea REALLY dark. I then pulled each sheet of paper through it and put it on a cookie sheet. They were then put in the oven at about 300. I turned them over a few times and kept them in there until they were dry. Watch carefully so they don't start on fire. Luckily none of mine did. Now they look old and a little crisp. I will be reading to the kids "We the Kids" and then we will discuss rights and each child will be given a paper. They must then write a right on their paper. I tried using a pencil on a finished one and it worked out really good. I am going to be putting these on a bulletin board but I don't have a title for it. I did dye 2 full sheet so I can use them for a title. Any creative ideas?

37. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2005

You could put something like "we the kids have the right to..." I guess my problem is I wanted the kids to stain their own. But if I did that we wouldn;t be able to backe them.

38. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005

I didn't think about letting the kids stain thier own. The oven in our school is in the teachers lounge so that wouldn't work. They do look really good now that they are all dry. Most teachers in our school never even heard about Constitution Day. I am glad I am doing something.

39. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2005

I might stain mine tomorrow ...I'll have to see!

40. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005

hanvan-exactly how are you going to present the lesson. I am not exactly sure how I am going to do it.

41. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 15, 2005

Do you have an oven at the school? If so, you might be able to get a volunteer to come in and bake them.

If not...well I guess you'll have to do them at home. I wonder if the cafeteria workers would be willing to give it a try?