Constantly out of their seat...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by MissWull, Nov 26, 2006.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 26, 2006

I'm a new sub but I have a general question. I've only subbed a handful of times but in every classroom I've been in...it seems like the kids get out of their chair at their own discretion. Moving their table or self up the behavior chart, throwing something away, sharpening their pencil, and the teacher seems to let them! I've observed in a couple classes...so I've seen that in action.

But this definitely bothers me. It makes me feel as though they can just get up and do whatever they want, whenever they want...and it seems very distracting.

So my question is....is this something that is the norm in most classrooms? Or are the classes I've subbed for and observed just out of the ordinary?

3. SheilaK

SheilaK New Member

Nov 26, 2006

I have recently taught third grade, and currently teach 1st. The policy in my classroom is to sharpen 2 pencils first thing in the morning (no more than 2 people at the sharpener at a time). Then I have a cup of extra pencils already sharpened. If a student needs one later in the day (broke others, or forgot to sharpen), they put one of theirs in the cup, and take one of mine. This eliminates the distraction of students constantly out of seats for pencil sharpening.

Students are allowed at any time to get up and get a tissue. Sometimes the tissue isn't necessary, but the student needs to move. This policy does not create a lot of movement.

If an activity results in paper scraps, students may go to the trash can as needed.

BUT....if I am in the middle of instruction, the students know that the only acceptable movement is to the tissue box.

I like my students to feel comfortable in the classroom, but within acceptable guidelines. Their attentiveness is always expected.

This works for me and my students, but you will need to find out what works for you and the students you teach.

If you are experiencing an unacceptable amount of movement, I would suggest that right after you introduce yourself to the class, you let them know what your expectations are. My classes have always behaved best when the substitute told them right away what his/her expectations for the day were.

4. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

First of all, I know how hard it is to get up every morning and go and sub for a new teacher everyday. During the time that I was subbing I remembered how I was when there was a sub coming in YAHOO! but, that does not excuse the behavior that is going on in the classroom with these students. I am strict on my students when another teacher is going to be out since we share the same students. I go up to the sub and introduce myself and let them know that if there is any problems that she/he can send them to my room(they hate that not because they don't like me but they KNOW that they are in TROUBLE). Then, they know that they will get lunch detention and they HATE that.
    My suggestion is lay down the rules first. Tell them what you expect of them and that you know that they will be an awsome class while their teacher is out. This gives them a positive start. Tell them that if they do not follow the rules then 1. There name goes on the board-warning. The second time then a check by their name-lunch detention-make sure they each lunch first, then come to you. then depending on the student you can give one final check mark if again they are off task and you can write them up for after school detention or another 20 lunch detention. Your call. This is just a suggestion and you can tweak it however you want.

Good Luck,

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2006

It depends.

My kids can get up during an independent work time to trade a pencil from my basket (not sharpen), get a drnk from in class fountain (on sink), or throw away a paper. They are not to be socializing or distracting others who are working. Under no circumstances would a child move themselves or their table on the behavior chart (if I had one)- this is a teacher discretion. Keep in mind that many students NEED to move. I don't have my kids at seats for LONG periods of time- we are always moving from carpet to desks, to independent work, to cooperative work, to reading in a spot of one's own choice....Most classrooms are not the tradtional rows of desks with kids sitting with hands folded and no talking. Most classroom climates are more democratic, tuned into kids' needs and allowing for some choice and movement within specific parameters. It would be nice if the teachers for whom you sub would leave a list of classroom practices and procedures so you don't have to guess. If you see that the behaviors you describe seem to be distracting to others or kids act in ways that seem out of what would be considered 'reasonable', make a note of it for the teacher and manage the behavior you see in a firm but friendly and fair way.

6. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

I let my kids get up and get a tissue as well because as the others said kids cannot keep still for long periods of time. I tell them if they are quiet and do not disturb others then...no problem. I don't let them get up to throw stuff away during instruction time as it is a distraction to the students as well as me. When I subbed I left a note that I made up as to what when on in the classroom. Who was absent, what we covered in class, what we didn't, and other important info ( I remember a kid once threw up all over everyone else homework, and then had to go home. It was a mess as the other kids started throwing up and gagging) We moved to another place and finished up the school day. Anyhow, leave a card for them to contact you if they wish to call you again, remember network.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 26, 2006

Sometimes a student will get up and we won't make a big deal about it. If more than one student gets up, we remind they are to raise their hands first. We do try to stick to the raise hands first because our kids do take advantage and will use it as a distraction. Otherwise I don't think we would care.

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

I guess my kids are use to the routine so I only get about 1 or 2 out of their seat getting a tissue. I had a student the other day who was sick so I had him take the box to his desk since it was almost empty and I just opened another one. that worked for me. Even though they know to just get up they STILL seem to ask me...it is funny. My kids are a challenge but I still love them..

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2006

My kids get up for things all the time . . . within certain parameters, of course. They can always get up for a tissue. There are four boxes in the room, and they go to the closest box. During independent work they can be up to sharpen pencils, get supplies, turn work in, throw things away, or just stand up and stretch if needed. They can also ask me to use the restroom or get a drink. During direct instruction, they can get a tissue and I even allow them to sharpen a pencil using the hand sharpener if theirs breaks . . . they just hold up the pencil and I nod to them to sharpen it.

I used to have 100 minute classes, and that's a LONG time to sit in one place. And I actually find it MORE distracting for the kids to raise their hands and ask every time they get up.

Of course, you can always ask the kids to NOT do that while you're there . . . just don't freak out if they DO get up because they're probably just used to doing that, not being defiant.

Sometimes I'll ask them to do something differently. For instance, normally I allow them to go to the library during reading time by simply signing out on a clipboard by my desk. Today I asked them to NOT go to the library for 10 minutes because I needed to talk to a few students and didn't need to have them all there for awhile.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 28, 2006

Wow, such a simple thing to do, yet I never thought about it. Does that actually work? I mean, I guess if the teacher comes back and asks the students how the sub was and everyone seemed to like the sub...then the teacher might want that same one back...sounds like a good plan! Maybe I'll create my own little cards from 3x5 index cards cut in half and get a little crafty with it! Hmmmm...sounds like a project...thanks WonderW05! :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone! I wasn't necessarily asking what should I do, but just asking in general if most classes are like this. I do definitely lay down my own rules, but I do it throughout the day as things happen...it is a much better suggestion to lay down the law at the start of class. I'll try this next time!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 28, 2006

WonderW05...

What should I put on the card? In our district the teachers need to call the district office to put in the request for a sub...so besides my name should I leave the district office # and tell them they can feel free to call in a request for me? I dont know if I should leave my cell #...? Hmmmm...any suggestions what to put on my new nifty cards?

12. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 28, 2006

I actually went to the store and bought those preforated business cards and put my first last name email address, and cell phone number. I had LOTS of calls because people are always LOOKING for a sub or they know someone who does......I did my really cool but still kept it professional at the same time.

Many times people would request me early like months ahead, so i knew who I was working for and then just jotted it down in my planner...

13. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I briefly looked at some of the suggestions, and I don't think this has been mentioned. I have seen teachers use hand signals (thumb up-go to the bathroom, pinkie and thumb-tissue etc.), you can choose which signals you want. This way the student can communicate to you what they want without you having to call on them. I have a big problem with students getting up, and I may start using this to cut back on some of that. Just a suggestion! Hope it helps!