Constant nervous feeling

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Sep 6, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 6, 2005

I don't think this is normal, but I figured I'd ask you all. Everytime I sub high school I have an "on edge" feeling. It's like, I can't relax. I know it doesn't show because everyone tells me I look calm and relaxed, but really I feel like any minute something is going to happen that will cause me to have to eal with a misbehavior...and I hate doing that at the high school level. So far things have gone fine at the hs. I was there on Friday and today (Tues). When I did have to tell a senior boy in study hall to be quiet, I was very stern when telling him, and he said, "OK" and he did listen. I am thinking that the more I am with the same hs students the more comfortable I will "feel". Most of them I am getting to know and feel comfortable with. It's just the feeling of " waiting for the moment". I'm sure this feeling is due to the fact that I did have some serious confrontations with some seniors last year..thank God they're gone.
    OK, am I crazy. Please let me know if any of you know the "on edge" feeling I'm talking about and what can do (besides meds) to loosen up.

3. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Sep 6, 2005

You are not Crazy Katerina, we all get nervous sometimes especially when we are out of our element or are in a new situation. Besides, working in highschool can be stressful, look at all the stories in the news about students pulling knives on each other and their teachers. I know these situations are few and far between but I am sure they are helping to make you nervous. Don't sweat it, and know that everything will work out. You will loosen up. Just take a breath, let it out slowly, and let the relaxation come.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 6, 2005

I felt like you do before I began getting more experience in High School. I've also spent a lot of time thinking about why this is. I think that part of it is that (and this is true especially if someone is used to being with small children) that we have to make the adjustment in how we deal with them because of their more mature age, and if we are not used to this, we can't easily gage if we are making an adequate atjustment (so as not to treat them like little kids or too much like adults). You do get used to it and it does get easier. Now, I prefer high school hands down, and doing the younger grades gives me that 'nervous' feeling.

5. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Sep 6, 2005

Hi, Katerina!

In the school systems I'm going to sub in, I could chose my grades. In the private one, I chose K-6. In the one public elementary, K-4, and in the two suburban public K-6.

I'm not sure if this is allowed in your district, but if other school systems are not too far away, maybe you could sign up with several systems.

Do you get paid more if you sub in high school? Just wondering...

Mitzi

6. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 6, 2005

Mitzi,
    Atleast in my district, all substitutes get paid the same amount high school level or not. For that matter most of the districts in my home county pay the same amount to certified teachers or not too!! :(
    There are two districts who do pay better for those of us who are certified... near my home, and I think it will or has already something to do with the "highly Qualified.... no child left behind mumbo jumbo. ( I hate governmental jargon when it gets mixed up with the already hard to understand educational jargon that is written up in graduate classes.... errrrrrr!)
    I think most districts allow you the substitute to stipulate what grade levels/schools you want to work for.... Don't they??

7. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 6, 2005

if you ever figure out how to get rid of that edgy feeling, let me know. My problem is that they can usually see my knees knocking! :) or they must smell the fear emminating from my pores....

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 7, 2005

Thank all of you for your wonderful replies. It helped alot.

I could choose my grades to sub, last year after a bad experience with some trouble makers I quit the high school, but I decided to give hs another try this year. So far it has gone fine.

Subs in this district make the same no matter what grades they sub. I have an 18 year old son so it' s not like I'm not used to teens. Hopefully I will get over this feeling after more exposure . Thanks everyone.

PS. At the moment I am subbing 3rd graders and I don't have that nrevous on edge feeling at all!
    My favorite grades are 4-7 though.

9. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

I am new and I fear that there will be more opportunities at the High School because experienced subs don't want them. I will do whatever and am determined not to let them get the best of me. I have spent the entire weekend researching ideas to help me control these overgrown children. One particularly good one came from this website and was submitted by "Genghis the Teacher." I want to try this. He says: "Getting out of seat--I just never have this problem. The first day, inevitably someone will get out of his seat. I SCREAM. The class reacts like a puppy doing somethng bad. I then say, 'I am sorry, but I get very nervous whenever someone leaves his seat. You see, what happened about ten years ago, a kid was going to sharpen his pencil, and then he stabbed me..." He goes on and on. He ends it by saying that sometimes being a little crazy helps.

10. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 11, 2005

I have one more week left of my long-term sub job, and I'm getting nervous again, even though I've subbed for a year and a half before, and even had my own classroom before, but I think it's not knowing from day to day what kind of classroom you're going into, what the kids are like, how much they are going to push you. I know I can do it, and that I can be good at it, but I still get nervous.

11. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 11, 2005

Hnana, that was a good one!!! :) I've never tried it, but let me know how it turns out if you ever try it. I;ve tried teaching them yoga breathing techniques for relaxation,I think the move that cracks them up the most is the "lion Face" move. After doing the demo a couple of times, the students usually get really quiet and they usually give me a wide berth .... they think I am nuts!!! P.S. on the truthful/serious side...the "lion face" really does help with concentration and alertness.... This year I 've had students from last year come see me, and ask to have the demo again. Sometimes I do, most of the time I don't .... because I am too busy trying to do my job. Throwing candy to students who are willing to answer questions or are doing work usually works for me too. Again, I don't do it all the time, I try to vary my routines. Sometimes they get candy placed on their desk for coming in and getting right to work, sometimes I try usuing a jeopardy game set up for studying for tests, The best team gets an icecream cup from me the next day. (usually, I deliverit to the school and leave a note to the teacher to pick it up before their lunch) Sometimes I give them a choice of music to listen to/ or a book to listen to, or a puzzle from www.puzzlemakers.com.