Constant Arguing

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by lcr, Nov 16, 2010.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Nov 16, 2010

I teach a fourth grade class in a school that is designated as 100% free and reduced lunch. I have never had a class that has fought with each other as much as this class does. I have one student diagnosed ODD, one student who is emotionally at the level of a 3 year old because of years of neglect, another student who is sad because he never gets to see his dad, and still another student who bullied all of the third grade girls, was skipped a grade because of it, and they put her in my class. She made three fourth grade girls cry in one day.

Every day is so stressful. I spend at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes daily dealing with all of the conflicts between students. So many of them are unhappy because of home lives and they take it out on each other. I am at my wits end. How can I control the fighting and arguing?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

I would model what you expect in your classroom. Choose your words carefully---students are little parrots!

Maybe set up a compromising table or conflict resolution table. Post and practice I statements and have the students write them and talk out their differences at this table. They will need guidance at first.

See if your social worker or counselor can be available to help out during this time. Oftentimes they have a form or movie or game to play as well.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

Sorry for your frustration, I know it can be difficult.

Teach. Teach them how to feel, how to think, how to react, how to do basic things they should have learned in other ways but it is now falling onto your shoulders. Don't just react and discipline.

Start class with an expectation, one small goal. "Susie, you will not say anything mean or hurtful to any classmate today, not here, not in my classroom, not today, OK?" Be fair and consistent with consequences.

Like mopar said, model conflict resolution. Think out loud about your emotions and how you are dealing with frustrations.

Sorry you've been given some challenges. Step by step, day by day!

And if nothing else, fix what you can and accept the rest.

5. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Try some classroom games with them where they have to work in teams and learn how to communicate productively. Some students just don't know how to work in groups and talk to each other, they just argue for the sake of it sometimes. Teamwork is not easy for students to learn but they can learn it.

6. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Nov 29, 2010

I know some people who have had good success with the Tribes program - apparently it is very good at building positive community in the classroom. You could probably grab a used copy for 10 bucks off amazon.