Considering Subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TeachAstro, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TeachAstro

TeachAstro Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Hey everyone, I'm still relatively new to this forum but everyone has been extremely helpful! Anyway, I have a degree in astrophysics from Berkeley and, after taking this academic year off, plan to enroll in a teacher certification/Masters program. I've been looking for a job and am considering substitute teaching here in Sonoma county, thinking it will be good experience. Anyway, I had a couple questions that I couldn't find on this thread so I was hoping you could help.

First, in CA it says the 30-day sub permit allows me to work in any grade, K-12. I was wondering though, is it possible to "sign-up" for just high school (since that's where I want to teach)? Or more specifically, for science classes?

My second question is probably largely based on my first, but is the work steady? Will I have an assignment most/every day?

Thanks a lot for your time, I appreciate it!

3. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 11, 2010

The best way to increase your workload for subbing is to work in a big district, preferable multiple districts. More schools= more potential jobs.

Doing a good job and networking ensures that the jobs you do have will lead to more. Teachers like having good subs work for them again, if possible, and they also spread the word to other teachers in their schools.

4. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 11, 2010

If you only want high school science then I wouldn't count on steady work. I worked just about every day, but I also worked in whatever was open.

The way the computer system is set up for me I could tell it to only show me high school jobs. I can't tell it to only show me jobs in a certain subject.

5. KateA

KateA Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I can't answer your question about how often you'll have an assignment since this is my first year.

Depending on the system your district uses you might be able to specify what grade/subject. Our district uses SFE and you can choose classification from PreK to Grade 12, and any subject imaginable (including VoTech, ESE, etc). So your district might list on their website what system they use and you might be able to find more information out that way.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2010

TeachAstro, for ques #1, from what I've experienced, the larger the dist, the more of a choice you may be given on what kind of class/gr to sub for. I'm in southern CA & work for a lg district that goes up to 8th gr (33 schools). I'm picky & only want speech (as in speech, lang, & hearing) & elem level RSP (type of mild/moderate special ed). They are not big classes, but small grp pull-out style. For that particular dist, they allow me to just do that. HOWEVER, I've subbd for tiny districts (3-4 schools) that don't give you as much choice because they're so small, they pretty much want a substitute who's willing to teach anything that's given to them.

For ques #2, again it depends on the dist size. If you ONLY want HS level sci & they allow you to only do that (or you can probably just decline anything else, except for what you want), I would think that working at 3-4 districts consisting of at least 15 schools would give you just about all 5 days a wk of work because there's about several HS sci classes at ea school I'm assuming. But, since you're going to be brand new at subbing, how about trying 2 good size districts at first & see how you like it. You can always apply to more later.

Good luck!

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

I would recommend signing up to sub in a few districts to increase your chances of a steady flow of assignments. As for subbing in just science; that's great but I do not think you will have the chance to work everyday in a single subject. It's up to you but this is my suggestion.

Best wishes!

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 12, 2010

I wasn't aware that *even* subbing opportunities abounded, that one could apply (and get in) in multiple local districts. I work in two districts (w/six high schools in total, maybe a dozen plus middle schools). I don't think limiting myself to science classes would get me anywhere near the amount of work I'd like. You gotta remember that many of those teachers will already have their preferred sub in place. And most others don't really care about who they get (i.e. they don't request anyone; they just leave it about for anyone.)

I think you gotta/should broaden your net.

9. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I think it's great that you want to sub specifically for the class that applies most with your degree, because it shows you want to grow in that area and you are dedicated to it.

However, I think it would be better if you could "broaden your horizon" like John Lee suggested. If you did this, you would be able to show future employers that you are able to help learners in all different subjects and situations, and that is always a big A++.

Although I am majoring in elementary education and I IN NO WAY want to be a high school teacher in the future, I have said that I will be available this first year of subbing of mine for K-12. I did this because I 1) want a lot of jobs and this will increase the calls undoubtedly, 2) want to be able to prove how flexible I am, and 3) want to be able to show future employers that I am willing, able, and happy to go out of my comfort zone to figure out how to help all kinds of students learn in all kinds of ways.

I signed up with 5 districts this year, and if the jobs do not start flowing enough then I will be applying to more but I have a pretty good feeling that I won't be wishing I had a lot more jobs since I am open to any grade for any subject at any school.