Considering retirement at end of year....anyone in same boat?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kat_Kong_Mrs.H, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Kat_Kong_Mrs.H

Kat_Kong_Mrs.H New Member

Nov 3, 2019

I teach Kinder at a Title I school and can 'buy out' years of service to add to my retirement. I am buying out the service now. I figure if I stay it will be icing on the cake, however, I am really considering just walking away. My colleague is a very negative, hateful person who works hard to try to get me in trouble. I also work with Title I kids (that says it all). I still want to work but not in the classroom. I am pursuing an on-line program in Instructional Design and Adult Learning. I am tired of the evaluations, paperwork, testing, behavior issues (ie. feral children). I fear I will regret this and miss the kids (the non-feral children that is). Has anyone else felt the same way? I dont post this on FB because of other teachers who know me on FB and I don't want to let the cat out of the bag....
    Thanks in advance!

ecteach and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2019

I have told friends that you will know when it's time to walk away. It sounds like you have reached that time.
    Good luck with your next adventures and have a good time!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2019

I retired last year and we moved to a lovely active adult community. I’m bored. I miss the classroom. I still haven’t figured out how to keep busy and feel like I’m doing something worthwhile. Tutoring doesn’t appeal; I’ve tried subbing (videos and worksheets) and it’s painful. Good for you for having a plan!

ecteach likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2019

I would if I could, but I have two more years after this one to retire with full pension. I'm not sure what I'll do then. If I feel the pull to be in the classroom (which I can't see at this point), I'll stay. At this point, I'm thinking about a move to a far less expensive part of the country as I can't afford to stay living here once I retire. As for what I'll do, that will depend on where I end up. Hopefully, doing something that I can walk away from at the end of every day.

bella84 likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

Yep! I am taking it yr by yr now. There is a big incentive in it for me to do keep working 2 more yrs, but I am getting tired. I couldn't tell you now my plans for next yr. It is like I haven't made my mind up. This yr I am on a cake walk, but next yr, I may not be. :)

7. socalenglish

socalenglish Rookie

Nov 11, 2019

I retired in June. When September rolled around I really missed being in the classroom to the point where I was a little depressed. I have now adjusted and am really appreciating the freedom to do things that I have always loved to do but stopped doing because teaching just takes so much time. I am finally an English teacher who now actually reads books because I have the time.

Best of luck to you!

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 11, 2019

[

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 12, 2019

I'm not teaching this year (not because of retirement but because of a medical issue.) I am so relaxed and stress-free! And I stay busy all day long just taking care of "life." I can't imagine how I did all of this and worked full-time for so long. It boggles my mind. And I was a full-time caregiver to my father for the past 8 years, on top of working full time as a teacher.

I imagine that being a full-time teacher and a parent to young children would be very much the same. And as a single person everything falls on me. There is no one to share the load with. If the car breaks down, I have to deal with it. Roof leaking? My job to deal with it. A/C stops working? Me again. Laundry? That's me, too. Meals? Yep, me again. Yard work, well I hire that out, but I still have to follow up on it. Doctor's appointments -- me again. The list goes on and on.

I'm not quite old enough to retire yet, but I can't imagine returning to all that stress. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, at this point. Right now, I've decided to focus on my health and getting better, so going back this school year isn't even in the cards. But next year? I just don't know. I've decided not to decide until at least March.

I could easily see myself not teaching full-time again. I could take care of my life and my household, and get a volunteer position so I'd still feel useful. I could do fun things during the day (and there are lots of those things to do here) and spend time reading, gardening, even doing laundry or cooking meals instead of going out-to-eat all the time.

I wish I could afford to not go back. I can't believe I'm actually saying that. Teaching was always my passion, and my vocation. But there is a time and season for everything, and maybe my season for being a teacher is passing. We'll see how I feel about it in March.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM

You had me at "feral children."
    NO judgement. But, I definitely think it's time to retire. This job is rough and there's an ending time for all of us.

Tired Teacher likes this.