Considering on putting a pause on Advanced Degree and life update

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

May 8, 2018

So I am pretty much overwhelmed with obtaining an advanced degree. The only reason why I am doing it because it is an alternative route to receive a certification in Georgia. However, in Florida, there is a teacher prep program that is shorter and less money! I will receive a certification within a year. Being that I am living in on the Georgia Florida border it will be easy for me to obtain. Students only have to commute one time out of the semester and everything else is online and the homework is not as time-consuming. I have all the requirements except that I need a passing score on the Florida General Knowledge test to be considered into this program.

I am fed up with GCU. The program is good but there is too much writing and it is really time-consuming when papers must be turned in every Wednesday which is the middle of the week! The papers and case studies are extremely long. I also received a bill for over a grand in the mail from this school for a class that I thought was covered under federal student loans

At this point, I am pissed and if the prep program in Florida doesn't work out my plan is to take the Florida teacher certification test without an educator program and apply for reciprocity in GA

So far, life has been going great. I am teaching to 3 work from home companies and will be moving to a bigger space. I and my parents are seeing common ground these days and the private kindergarten is on its way! I have been to a lot of conferences and professional developments that will prepare to be a Kinder teacher. I am still working on my anxiety and I am still in the dating scene. The thing with the last guy was a fling but we are still friends and nothing more. My Bday is in a few weeks and I will be traveling! enjoying life

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 8, 2018

Is anyone else having a déjà vu moment...?

a2z and ChildWhisperer like this.
  4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 9, 2018

May I ask what you expected? What is the difference between a paper being turned in on a Wednesday or a Sunday if you still have the same amount of time to write the paper.

School is supposed to be a lot of work and learning.

Have you considered cutting out the dating, cutting back on PD, and not working 3 jobs to move to a larger space and make some sacrifices to have the time to do our classwork instead. Or is the real issue that it is too hard? Not everyone is cut out to get advanced degrees in certain subjects. They have skills in other areas but the type of work required for these degrees is not in their wheelhouse.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2018

All over again.

Upsadaisy, a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 9, 2018

Sounds like a lot of excuses. I would put the other stuff on pause instead as the education is much more important, but I doubt you'll listen to what anyone here says anyway lol. Good luck!

a2z and Been There like this.
  7. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 9, 2018

Thanks everyone but the problem is the bill! I will be calling to see why there is over a grand being billed to me. Honestly, I'm not in the space to give school that much energy anymore. I have priorities elsewhere.

8. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 9, 2018

And I rarely date! Texting people is all I ever do. When I say dating, it means just texting or sometimes hanging out. It's a couple of people.

I think the problem is trying to survive and pay bills too. I love working from home. Wish I can do it permanently.

Maybe I need time management skills. I am not failing and have an A average. Perhaps, I'll stay and figure out time management. I'll stop procrastinating and get the papers done over the weekend. As well as cut hours from one of the online school I work for.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 9, 2018

You have been in the situation of meeting mandatory requirements to acquire a teaching degree through an alternate route. No on said it would be easy. When the papers are due is so whiny - sorry, that sounds like a complaint I would hear from a high school kid, not someone working to become a teacher. I have to wonder why you didn't look into the Florida program in the first place?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 10, 2018

You realize that your largest complaint was how hard the work is, when it is due, and that you picked too hard of a program. The money was a one sentence after thought.
    Yes, if you are being charged incorrectly it needs to be corrected, but all of the other stuff is irrelevant to the money issue. They didn't cause the money issue. Even if you liked the class the money issue would be there. For that reason, people are focusing on your complaint about too hard of classes, not liking the due date, and your regret for not taking the easy road which had a hard road block to your acceptance.

Seems either way you have to do something hard. Either pass a test which you have not been able to do which you gave up on or give up on a hard class to try to get in a program you can't get in yet because of something you gave up on. You are in a bit of a quandary since you are stuck between being too hard and too hard. Can't give up on both and get what you want so you must decide which difficulty you will tackle. Seems you are already in on path and apparently getting good grades.

If you don't get focus and time management under control you are going to struggle in any job that allows you to control what you do. I can't imagine setting up and running a K program lacking time management because doing so is so much harder than just teaching a class where so much else is controlled by others.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2018

What are these other priorities?

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 10, 2018

This might be the bigger problem beyond time management. Some people flit from thing to thing never completing anything they start when it becomes hard or they lose interest.

czacza and TeacherCuriousExplore like this.
  13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 10, 2018

Dating?

futuremathsprof and czacza like this.
  14. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

Working from home! lol! I enjoy it and its a good way to make a lot of cash!

15. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

It is not dating everyone

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 10, 2018

It's a fantastic way to perpetuate the current situation, yes!!

Working from home is an ORGASMICALLY good time to get that degree done. You won't have more free time EVER in your life, besides in retirement. WOW WHAT A GREAT TIME TO GET THAT DEGREE DONE WHILE WORKING FROM HOME!!! It's rare you will have such luck, and so much time to devote to it!

17. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

No. I actually make a good income working and while it does sidetrack me from my studies I do not think GCU is the route I should take for certs.

18. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

I did not know about it. I wish I would have

19. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

But I think I will continue with GCU being that I do finish in February

20. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 10, 2018

and I take the GA exam next month

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2018

Flip flop.

22. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 10, 2018

I finished my Master's degree while working full-time. I took 2-3 classes per semester and finished in 1.5 years/4 semesters.
    If you don't have time for the work, just pause school, save up money, then quit a couple of your online jobs, and then focus on school so you can finish

23. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 11, 2018

Allow me to expand on your fish metaphor. While the fish continues its predictable flip flopping, others can’t seem to resist biting the hook even though it lacks any bait! Some fish just never seem to learn. Time to reel it in and go home!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    czacza and futuremathsprof like this.
  24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 11, 2018

Hook, line, and sinker.

Been There likes this.
  25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2018

Why does anyone answer and feed the thread??

czacza and Been There like this.
  26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 11, 2018

Nothing else better to do?

Been There likes this.
  27. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 11, 2018

The comments here are a complete mess. I am not a part of this forum anymore.

28. TeacherCuriousExplore

May 11, 2018

I would like to close this thread because there are posters with nothing else better to do than to be condescending about someone's situation

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2018

Very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.