Considering job search and resume help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 11thyrteacher, Dec 26, 2016.

1. 11thyrteacher

11thyrteacher New Member

Dec 26, 2016

Hello, all! I use to post a little here or there during my first year teaching. My username was 1st-yr-teacher. This is my 11th year teaching hence my new name. ;)

I have worked at the same school my entire career. I love my school and where I work. However, there are certain things going on that have added a lot more stress and I am just not enjoying teaching as much as I have in the past.

I'm considering looking for another teaching job in other districts to see if that helps. Just the thought of that scares the mess out of me. I don't like change! But I also can't just leave teaching for a new career (which is where I'm heading if something doesn't give, I'm afraid) without seeing if things are better in a new district.

I've decided my first step is to just work on my resume and go from there. If I have that ready, it would make it more easy for me to just pull the trigger if I do decide to search elsewhere. I just don't know where to even start since I have been at the same place for 11 years.

3. McGonagall

McGonagall Rookie

Dec 28, 2016

Nothing will be hurt from simply submitting your resume other places. It might be worth it to fish around and see what comes up...you don't HAVE to take what you find, and, truly, if your administration realizes that you're looking elsewhere, they might shape up and realize that they're losing a good teacher.

What are the problems your school is facing? Are they fixes which could be done theoretically "overnight"?

4. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Dec 28, 2016

Also, i highly suggest that you build your LinkedIn profile as well. You can upload your resume directly to LinkedIn. A lot of principals and heads of schools at independent schools are making the point of scouring applicants online. And yes, find something that you'll be comfortable with but also offer a new learning experience!

Fred

5. 11thyrteacher

11thyrteacher New Member

Dec 28, 2016

I teach in a poor, rural area that doesn't have as many resources or as much money as some of the bigger districts around me. My admin is supportive and I love my team that I teach with.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 28, 2016

A supportive admin and a great team will be hard to replace. Do you think a grade change in your current school would help?

7. 11thyrteacher

11thyrteacher New Member

Dec 29, 2016

Not really. Team wise, our grade level works the best together.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 29, 2016

What do you mean by resources/money? Do you mean in terms of salaries and benefits? That I really understand. If you mean resources for the kids, like chromebooks or tech or whatever, I don't think I would personally leave for that. I'm 2:1 chromebooks right now and am planning to leave my school for a district that will likely have less tech. At the end of the day, other things matter more to me.

However, given my current situation, I also really believe that only you know when it's the right time to change, and sometimes others may not understand.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 1, 2017

If you're stuck on writing your resume, make a brochure first. That may get the juices flowing. It's sort of a backwards approach, but won't matter in the long run.

10. Strick18

Strick18 Rookie

Jan 1, 2017

Do you have any family or friends who teach or work in the educational system? Perhaps they could help you find a job in a better district. When I was fresh out of college with no experience the only job I was offered was in the Detroit Public Schools.
    But after 1/2 a year of experience I got a lot more opportunities. I have 4 family members who work for a much better district. My uncle (who has the highest position from all of us) pulled some strings and I got to work in an amazing school and I plan on leaving for an even better one.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2017

If you are really going to look for a new job, get your ducks in a row. I personally use a professional resume writer, since they know exactly how to state things that matter to future employers. Some love to do this themselves, but I just love being able to tweak their efforts and move on to more important things. Please make sure that you have some great LOR's in your hands - they are easier to get and give before they are actually needed, before people are bummed out that you may be leaving.

I hope you make a list of what you love, and what you are hoping to change. You may find key elements to consider in a future job search. If you are going to consider changing jobs, you will need some concrete ideas about what you are running towards, as well as what you are running from. You never know, but a list like that might make it possible to negotiate change in a school you already love. Just a couple of thoughts.