Considering going from elementary to Jr. High

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by stac4742, Jan 27, 2010.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010

Hello!
    I was wanting to get some feedback from anyone who has previously taught at the elementary school level and then moved up to Middle School. I currently teach 4th grade all subjects and am strongly considering teaching in a Jr. High next year so that I can focus on 1 subject. It can be so challenging teaching all the subjects in depth as they need to be taught. I know Jr. High has its challenges, but wanted to get some advice.
    Thank you

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

I love teaching the older kids (though in my 6-12 building, the middle schoolers are the babies.)

What subject are you qualified to teach, and how's the job outlook there?

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 28, 2010

I teach 1 subject now and I like it that way, so I'm considering the same move.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 28, 2010

I switched from elementary to high school and I greatly prefer teaching the same subject all day. We have a block schedule so it's impossible for me to have more than three preps, two is the standard and sometime you end up with just one. Now, I do have way more students to grade for than in elementary, but I still find the workload as far as prep and grading to be less than elementary. But more importantly, I love my subject area and I really enjoy teaching it all day.

6. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

I also used to work with 4th graders, and I agree with what MsMar said. I would add that I loved 4th grade because the students were so excited about EVERYTHING. Every day was an adventure to them. Middle schoolers are much harder to impress. They are also sleepier in the morning, and will give you more attitude all day long. However, you can discuss topics more in depth with middle school students, and their thought processes are more sophisticated. I love both age groups (except when they drive me up the walls)!

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2010

I taught elementary grades 4,5,and 6 and specialized in language arts and science because that's what I was assigned to teach. Since I had already taught compartmentalized and similar grade level, it wasn't a difficult transition to move to middle school. I became certified for middle level (grades 7-9) in several subject areas by taking praxis tests. I would never go back!