Considering a Sports Theme next year??!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsB2B, Jun 2, 2009.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

Hi guys-

Right now I teach 4th grade, but I might be moving to 5th next year. Are these two grade levels too old for themed classrooms?

I want to do a sports theme centered around teamwork, because my low income kids are lacking in the respect/teamwork area. I don't want to belittle them, but I want the room to be fun.

This year I was the only upper grades teacher to actually decorate and make my room bright and inviting. I don't care what others think, but I want my kids to enjoy the year. We will be self contained, so I am excited of the possibilities of making things theirs.

My school is K-5, so 5th grade is the oldest grade level.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 2, 2009

5th isn't too old for a theme - we have themes in all the 5th grades.

4. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

Yay! I found another post farther down where someone had asked for ideas. I am a huge sports fanatic, so it'll be easy for me to get the kids into it! Thanks!

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

The older kids love themes, too. It makes them excited to see that you cared enough to do it for them.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 2, 2009

The only caution is not all kids are sports minded. I'm not and I certainly know other boys and girls alike that aren't. Some themes don't need kids to be excited about them because they are generic. Sports isn't one of those areas. That would be my only food for thought. They aren't, however, too old for a theme. Themes are great!

7. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

thanks for the input! I will think it over. I actually got the idea from Beth Newingham's site. The theme would be more about teamwork focusing on respect and working together. She incorporated various aspects of sports and team ideas into the room. I guess you could argue that not all kids will buy into every theme regardless. It's all about how you approach it. If I drilled sports scores and lingo....then of course I'll turn off students. But I think focusing on working together will ultimately pay off.

Thanks for the thoughts though!

8. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jun 2, 2009

At our school we get "Really Good Stuff" catalogs. They probably have a website too. I ordered team-themed things from them 2-3 years ago. I believe I saw these things in their catalog this year too. In the past they had a 'welcome to our team' banner, pencils, incentive stickers, etc. The sports include the usuals like football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, but include others like kickball, tennis.... you could widen the sports theme to other sports too, like golf, cross country, etc. whatever might be at your school. I used this theme for third through fifth graders and they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

9. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

awesome suggestion! I just got a catalog from them the other day!! Thanks!

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

One year I did a sports theme in 5th grade. I had footballs, soccer, basket, and baseballs. They seemed to like it. Now if I could just try to find some hockey pucks!

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

PS--I did "We're on the ball in fifth grade" for a theme!