Consequences

Discussion in 'High School' started by courtneymarie, Aug 5, 2008.

1. courtneymarie

courtneymarie Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I'll be starting my first year of teaching this fall and I'm wondering if you all could give me some advice concerning my consequences for misbehavior. I'll be teaching 11th and 12th graders. This is how I have my consequences outlined right now:

1st Offense-Warning
    2nd Offense-Two page handwritten essay on respect and its importance
    3rd Offense-Lunch detention
    4th Offense-Referral to Office
    **Depending on the severity of the offense, one or more of these steps may be skipped.

I'm most concerned about the 2nd and 3rd offense consequence. I know some don't support essay writing as a consequence for misbehavior, but I believe it is a viable option. What is your opinion on this? Also, should I switch the second and third consequence? That is also something I am wondering about. Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your responses!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I have some hesitance about using writing as a punishment. It's hard enough trying to get high schoolers to do the real work they're assigned, and I wouldn't want to create a mindset that writing is distasteful.

Does your school have a discipline policy that outlines the consequences? Most do.

With my seniors, if I have to, I give a lunch detention and make them scrape gum off the bottoms of the desks. I supply the rubber gloves and scrapers. It's not an "official" consequence, but it is one they will do almost anything to avoid! :)

4. Badger41

Badger41 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I agree with Mrs. K about avoiding writing as a punishment.

I knew a teacher at a district I used to work at who did the old "circle on the board" punishment. He drew a circle on the board and you had to stand up to the board and put your nose in the circle. The worse your behavior, the lower he drew the circle so you had to stoop down!

I'd hold off until the first week of orientation. I'm sure the administrators will go over a "code of conduct" and will have set procedures for discipline.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

Your school might have its own plan for progressive discipline. Mine does, so that's what I use (because I have to).

A few questions to consider...

What happens if a student refuses to write the essay?

What is the goal of having the student write the essay? Is it to think about "respect" for two pages? Will that accomplish what you want it to?

Who supervises lunch detention? At my school, we have duty-free lunch and no "central" detention. So, if I were to issue a lunch detention, it would really be more like a detention for me!

When do you plan to alert parents as to the inappropriate behavior of their kids? That's not on your progressive discipline plan, but it should be. My plan looks very similar to yours, except mine is: 1. Verbal warning, conference with student away from peers; 2. Parent contact and any of the following: detention, removal of class privileges, temporary removal from class (I send them to another teacher down the hall for what amounts to a "time out"); 3. Referral

If your heart is set on writing, I might recommend that you nix the essay writing and replace it with something more introspective and less vague than an essay about respect. Perhaps it could be a personal letter to the kid's parents. In it, the student would need to identify the inappropriate behavior, how his behavior impacted the rest of the class (peers and the teacher), what behaviors would have been better, more appropriate choices, and what things he can do to make sure that he makes better choices next time.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

I agree that you should avoid assigning writing as punishment. I noticed that you teach English--you should want your students excited to write, and they won't be if they are writing behavior essays. Like Cassie said, check with your school to see if they have a school-wide behavior plan, and also check with other teachers in your school to see what they do.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Mine mirrors Cassie's plan.

If we send a kid to the office without a conference or a parent call, we aren't following our school procedures. Of course, if the behavior is severe an office referall can occur.

We are starting something new this year called Give Em Five. I can PM you the outline our VP sent us. We haven't all been trained on it yet (school year starts next week, we get training in our first inservice).

8. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I would say no to the writing as punishment as well. I actually don't like punishment at all. I wouldn't put a 1st, 2nd, 3rd step in (if possible) and handle each on case by case, with general rules in your 1st day handouts. That way you won't treat disrespectful behavior the same as not bringing a pencil.

Parent phone calls are so not fun to make for behavior issues, but v necessary. If at all possible, get an email on the phone, that way you can send updates... both positive and negative.

Mirror your department... veteran teachers probably have a copy of rules they use and it is nice to look at a few different ones to create your own.

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

I did a similar assignment once, a paper on respect. Instead of having one student write the paper an entire class that had been having a lot of trouble with respect was assigned the paper. It was not just a few students in this class having trouble, but the majority of the class.

10. manatee23

manatee23 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Mine is basically as follows:
    1st offence warning/removal from seat or activity (labs)
    2nd offence parent contact/conference
    3rd offence 30 min detention with me before or after school.
    During the detention I have two possibilities, if the student was horsing around they have to scrape gum from under the desks, the level of offence dictates how many chairs they must finish, so sometimes they wind up serving more than one detention. (Don’t worry they get heavy gloves and a scraping device I got from the janitors ;). My other “punishment” if you will is a written assignment. They must write a short letter to me apologizing for disrupting class and being disrespectful to me, a letter to any one student who they may have been picking on AND a another letter to the class apologizing for disrupting the learning environment. The letter to me I post on a bill board behind my desk as a reminder to the whole class, the letter to the other student I silently give them after the next class is over and I make the student stand in front of the class at the beginning and read his apology to them. In 5 years of teaching I have only had to use the letter option about 10 times. It is highly effective, but you have to cherry pick which students you can get away with doing this to. But if you can get one a year, word of mouth can take care of the rest.
    4th offence – referral (but I usually just go strait to guidance and request a conference with the parent first. The only referrals I have ever had to write are during lab activities when students did something that could be unsafe to others in class.

As far as overall class behavior, I make a big point to call parents, even for minor offences the first few weeks of school. I will even call if they didn’t complete an assignment, any excuses in the first few weeks. This spreads like wildfire among my students and it a very good reputation to have among the classes. They get more of a sense you aren’t messing around if you “threaten” to call home. After that you don’t have to be so vigilant because the reputation will drive the rest.