Consequences

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by soflgal, Jul 31, 2007.

1. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I'm coming back to work after a long hiatus. I am going to be teaching 4th grade ESE. I know I'll have to get to know my students but just for a heads up. What type of consequences have worked for you in the past with these type of students? I can't imagine time out would work for 4th grade but then again I'm new to 4th so any suggestions?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I have them document what they did and sometimes write a short apology to their parents that I photocopy. I also sometimes pull them aside to a quieter area (like a study corral) to bring their work. It's not technically time out. They may also go to another teacher's classroom, but in all honesty it really depends on the kid. Some kids find pleasure in doing anything just to leave a room, so if you can keep them in the room, sometimes that's the most effective.

4. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 3, 2007

With only one year of grade four under my belt (taught 6-8 for seven years prior), I found most can be reasoned with at that age. You would generally have "umbrella consequences" that everyone is subject to. For the repeat offenders, however, I think it's different for each child. Phone calls home work for some, recess/after school detentions for others. I'm always in pursuit of an "effective deterrent", hence the different consequences for different students.

5. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the advice.... I don't think there will be a problem with behavior but then again you never know. I am fairly strick so hopefully all will work out in th end. And if it doesn't Live and learn. :)

6. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

In my state we have mandatory physical education everyday so we are unable to have a punishment that takes away their recess because of this I came up with a lap system. Since we use the card flipping at our school I have them do a lap around the playground for each card flip. That way they are still able to get their physical exercise but still have a consequence for their actions. Also, they can determine how long their consequence takes. If they run it they will be done a lot sooner than if they walk it.

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

That is so nice that you can do the lap thing! We were required to stop withholding recess about halfway through this past school year. We were ok with it, and most grade levels had students who broke rules walk, alone, around the playground area for a set amount of time. THEN, we received word that we could NOT do that because it was taking "socialization" time away from our students! The sad thing is that there was an instant change in attitude from some of our more difficult kids when they found out about this. We had the option of assigning detention, but then we had to deal with parents who refused to provide transportation, therefore, the child could not stay. It was nuts! I hope we figure out something new this year!

8. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Good luck. I know that we did Fun Friday too. Which was extra recess time and we were able to take away the extra recess time away. If they received so many card flips they could not attend and have study hall. There was one teacher for study hall and then a two outside. At least that is what two team members and I came up with.