Consequences

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Hurricane J, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hurricane J

Hurricane J Rookie

Mar 7, 2014

Today we were supposed to do a fun activity about sampling a species found in an ecosystem. This isn't exactly what we are covering, but I was going to discuss why you would want to sample a species and what kind of scientists would do it. This class has given me issues all year long. I recently removed their free seating and they are still acting up.

My other classes are doing fine and dandy but the students in it just push my buttons. The other day I went to get a drink of water and would be 20 seconds late after the bell, and I came back to a student making very loud obnoxious monkey noises. Granted that is one student and he is now sitting right next to my desk.

I know it is getting towards the end of the year and it will be difficult but I want to bring the hammer down on this class. Giving a weeks worth of book work and notes and no group work may seem to be the kind of consequence needed. I was feeling good about this class all until a few weeks ago. I was getting them back on track and I did nothing different but, they fell off.

How do you deal with your rowdy classes?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 7, 2014

I am not a fan of whole class consequences. They are unfair and it lets those who are responsible get away with ruining something for everyone in the class which may or may not be their aim.

I only use whole-class consequences in extreme circumstances.

I find that when you pick out those who are kindling the fire, and come down on them the rest of the class follows suit.

This is a side-note: but when you are late to class, students often think of that as a free pass to misbehave. After all, why follow rules for a classroom in which a teacher isn't even present? I would circumvent that by meeting them early (bring a water bottle), and keeping an eye on them while they go through the daily procedures.

4. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Mar 7, 2014

A apologize if this seems obvious, but one thing that has really helped with my rowdier classes is structure. I start speaking the moment the bell rings to get them focused in on class and introduce the warm-up. Then they have a set amount of time to complete the warm-up. They've gotten used to the routine, which has helped a lot.

I've tried the "lecture and book work and no group activities" approach in the past, and my experience it creates more boredom in the class which often leads to more disruptive behavior.

5. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 7, 2014

Have you tried to contact their parents and discuss their behavior in class. If that doesn't work, than you need to employ a set of rules like "if you are not in your seat when the bell rings, you are unexcused tardy." Try to avoid leaving the classroom and tell them that they are the only "problem" class, or find out which AP scares them the most and threaten to bring him\her in. Also, do not let them leave the classroom to use the restroom or get a drink of water or go to their locker if they have excessive behavior issues.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2014

And follow that up with "even when I'm not in the room to see it"....

While the child may have been misbehaving, the OP was not in the room when the bell rang.

I suggest the OP deals with the student that was causing a problem instead of the entire class. Punishing the class for the behavior of one when you were late will do nothing to keep the respect most of the class has for you. They will blame you for their punishment and all except for the misbehaving child they will be right because they didn't do anything and they got punished. Had you been there most likely the entire class wouldn't have been punished for obnoxious child's behavior.

I suggest having a few water bottles filled everyday for those times you can't get out of the room and back to refill one. Deal with the obnoxious kid 1:1.

7. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014

book work should not be used as a punishment. i tend to only leave that for my subs so that my kids will enjoy having me back because then we can do funner activities where they can move around and do experiments or even go outside.

I hold to the policy of forgiving everyone every night and starting fresh the next day. I tell them I have to hold them accountable for their actions, but I've forgiven the and hope to build a new relationship with them the next day where we both are happy and learning from each other.

I've found if I give my students respect and hold them to a higher standard, they return that respect.

I've told my students I'm sorry when I raise my voice or get frustrated with them. I admit that I'm human and make mistakes, but I teach because I want to see them graduate high school.

In one of my classes I asked five questions as bellringers:

1. Why do you come to school?

2. How can education help you in the future?

3. Why do some people not want others to be educated?

4. What do you see your role is in your education?

5. What do you see the teacher role is in your education?

It was interesting to see the responses. I also asked them why do they think I came to school every day? then I told them it was not for the money because that is what a lot of them guessed. It was not because anyone was forcing me to. It was because I cared about them as individuals and wanted to see them succeed. I wanted to look back one day in the future and see that I help them get to where ever they are and smile because they are happily employed and making something of their lives.

Students respond positively if you continue to believe in them and think they can be better people then they are today.

the best advice i ever got was to stop focusing on the students misbehaving and give your attention to the ones doing the right thing.

The kids will follow suit: if your give your time to those being bad more will misbehave to get your attention.

however, if you highlight the leaders and those doing good, some others will follow their example and rise above the peer pressure to misbehave and see your praise and approval.

I'll keep you in my prayers. hope it all works out :)