Consequences

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Lovetoteach15, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Oct 30, 2012

What do you use as consequences for inappropriate behaviors in the classroom? I personally do not like to take away recess. Many members of my grade level team use time-out and silent lunch, but I am looking for other alternatives that you have used successfully in the past.

3. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Nov 2, 2012

I use in-class timeout. This seems to work much better than taking away Ree
    recess for 2 reasons. 1. because it's immediate. As soon as they get in trouble, there is a consequence instead of hours later. 2. because my kids that are getting in trouble are the very ones that probably need recess the most.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 3, 2012

I give a warning, then a "take a break". It is in my classroom. If the behavior continues, then I contact the parent. I rarely write referrals.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

It depends on what they are doing. Sometimes I use time-out. Just the removal from the group helps. Sometimes, I have them go sit by themselves, very effective for most of my talkers & all of my leg swingers!

I very rarely take recess away. That's punishing me! They need to run & play & get out the energy!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 3, 2012

I rarely take away recess. If I do it's for 5 minutes and the student must practice the correct behavior.

I send students to sit by themselves or find a consequence related to their behavior.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

:agreed: consequences should be reasonable, relevant and related to the misbehavior. Can't sit on the carpet with the group and listen? Sit at your seat away from the group. Doodling on your white board instead of doing the math we're doing? Lose the white board, do the problems on paper and turn the paper in to me. Don't finish your independent work because of misbehavior? Do it for homework or during a choice time when other student's are playing math games or spelling hangman. And when a kid does something egregious, like thinking it was fun to stand on the toilets and look over the stall at others and generally cause a ruckus in the restroom, missing valuable learning time? Yeah, you had your fun. You can sit on the bench at recess for ten minutes and watch everyone have appropriate fun. I have a recess and lunch para who makes sure ths happens...doesn't cut into my lunch at all.

8. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I took away recess sometimes when I worked in elementary school. For some kids it worked well, and others lost a lot of recess and it didn't seem to work well. :/

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2012

Redirecting seems to work very well with my PreK class, unless it is where a child hurts another child. If a child hurts someone else, he/she takes care of the hurt child; which takes his time of play away from him. He will get the needed ice, hold it on the hurt area, and sit next to the child until the child is fine. The hurt child will tell him about how what he/she did was not nice, etc. This has worked so well that before you know it, the two are up and become the best of friends! Each behavior has its own lesson to be learned so I never use the same punishment for all of them. We did the Jonah story, so my class understand about why we get punished. I pull the Jonah card on them and they are quick to respond with doing the right thing.:angel:
    Rebel1