Consequences?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4dogmom, May 30, 2011.

1. 4dogmom

4dogmom Rookie

May 30, 2011

Hello!
    Our elementary staff is looking to come up with some new ideas for consequences for our classes. Currently, we use the card system in which pulling a card equals loss of recess. We really feel that we need to let them have their recess time! The need to get up and move may be the reason they misbehaved!

We are all about rewards not a problem in coming up with those!

So how about you? What do you do besides loss of recess?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

It depends on the behavior. We try to fit the consequence to the behavior. It might be working at their desk instead of in a comfy place in the room, walking in the front of the line next to the teacher, losing bathroom privileges.

Have you read Love and Logic yet?

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 30, 2011

I also have a hard time coming up with consequences. I take time from recess(which I hate) I take marbles out of a jar. Each group has their own marbles. This is about it. My go to is taking recess.
    I also send notes home but only if it gets really out of hand or it is out ordinary of the students normal behavior.

I have many ideas for rewards but like you am stumped on consequences.

I have not read Love and Logic but I have heard of it.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 30, 2011

We give conduct marks and once a student recieves 4 marks, in any of the 4 classes, they get silent lunch for a week. For some this has worked wonders, for our repeat offenders, not so much.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 30, 2011

I seldom take a whole recess unless it's a major offense - something an older kid would get suspended for.

But I often take the first five minutes of recess - or less. They still get to play, just not as long. And since I'm not taking all of their recess, it's far easier to be consistent. So what if innocent little Sally Sweetheart never gets in trouble except for today. She gets to sit with Marty Mayhem for a few minutes after class because she was talking.

I'm surprised few teachers here mention this option - taking a small part of recess. When I taught middle school, I had one consequence and gave no warnings. If they got a check mark on my clip board, they spent one or two minutes after class. Not enough to make them late to their next class, just enough to make them have to hurry. No stopping to talk to their friends, just go straight there.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 30, 2011

Yes I do not take the whole recess. They miss 1 min everytime they do something wrong.

For example:
    I have to tell you to stop talking- name on board 1 min
    You continue to get out of your seat-check by name 2 mins
    You shout out without raising your hand 3 mins etc

This is rare I have to do this but the students see that each min will add up.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 30, 2011

My Consequences:
    You make me wait for you to follow a direction, you wait for recess(similar to what Sarge does.)

You break it, you fix it.(Apology of action: drawing a picture for someone that you were mean to, writing a letter to a teacher you were rude too)

Practicing the rule: If you can't(whatever the procedure is: walk quietly in the hall, come to the floor for group, go to your desk from the floor, etc.)you do it over until you do it correctly. If it takes too long, you practice at recess(it's never the whole recess).

Loss of priviledge: For example, if a child is coloring their fingernails with markers, they lose the markers for the day. If they are using scissors incorrectly, they lose the right to use the scissors.

Take a break: in the classroom, it's similar to time out, but the child decides when they are in control enough to return. 3 times in a morning, and you get stuck: you can't move until I talk to you.

This is all Love and Logic and Responsive classroom stuff. If you haven't looked up either of these techniques, you should!
    It works for our whole school, K4 to 8th grade, and in an urban setting.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

May 30, 2011

Our students get recess, but walking a lap(s) around the play area is a consequence. They are still moving(recess is PE in our district), but not able to choose an activity until the laps are walked. Not great, but we have to do something in addition to PBS rewards.

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

May 30, 2011

I have a question. I am recieving a student who steals things. The K teacher took 5 min off recess but it did not curb the behavior. Has anyone tried having the student write a letter of apology? I teach 1st grade so I am not sure how this would work especially in the beg. of the year. I know I need a plan of action. Any ideas would be great. What punishment would fit this crime?
    P.s. I think this is a learned behavior because sibling does it too.

11. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

May 31, 2011

We also have P.E. not recess. Doing laps at P.E. is one consequence.

Silent lunch

No snack (which may sound mean to some but we have snack 10 minutes before they get on the bus and they will sneak and eat it then or will be home in another 10 minutes and eat then)

12. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 3, 2011

@cheer - I had several "stealers" last year. We had them write letters of apology or at least verbally apologize to the other child at the beginning of the year. I was lucky because most of the time they stole little things from me like books and pencil toppers, which was easier to deal with than stealing from another student.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

I teach first graders (who, like older kids are social beings), so what I find is effective is seperating them from their classmates. They still have to listen to the lesson and do their work, but I put them so the class is no longer facing them so even if they want to be a clown and act goofy, everyone's facing me.

Another thing I do is silent lunch. Since I can't make the monitors make them be silent, I have the main culprits get their lunch and come to my classroom.

It's not a treat because they are not allowed to talk to each other, me or go to the bathroom (unless it's an emergency) or for water. They eat in silence and put their heads down. Or I make them do a worksheet while they eat.

There's always sending notes home or instead of taking recess, taking away another privledge OR not allowing them to have extra privledges.

Like if kids act up in my class and get their color on red, they lose their job for that day. Or they don't get to choose their center, I pick where they go.

EDIT: I had a rather terrible class last school year (20 kids: 9 emotionally disturbed boys and 2 emotionally disturbed girls, plus one severely disturbed girl) so what I used to do is plan to show a short film sometimes for science or social studies and those who were acting up weren't allowed to watch. Instead they had to do a work sheet about whatever the film was on.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

We use "cards." Each card equals 5 mins. of recess. Recess lasts for 30 minutes, so kids don't lose the whole recess. At the end of the day we have a 10 min. PAT Time (preferred activity time) similar to recess but with computer time, drawing, board games, etc. So they can lose 5 mins. at a time of that in the afternoon, which only lasts 2 hours after lunch. We use other consequences when more beneficial- like practicing walking down the hall or writing a note of apology or calling parents to tell them what they did, etc.