Consequences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sumnerfan, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

What kinds of consequences would you use for students who have little to no parent interaction in their lives? For example, I have a student who is often disruptive. He is 18 years old and lives with his parents sporadically (read only when he has no other option). I've heard from him, and other teachers that his mother is a severe alcoholic. When I've called his home in the past I've gotten the sense she wasn't overly concerned about her son's behavior in school. So what kind of consequences would you use?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2010

I don't teach high school, but just from my own experiences as a student, I think by eighteen years of age, contacting parents regarding behavior isn't going to be as effective as it is in the younger grades. I'm certainly not implying there shouldn't be school to home communication...simply saying I think the chances of a parent being able to influence an eighteen year old student who has not "matured" enough to not disrupt class is unlikely.

But who the heck knows...I teach middle school. I'm sure other high school teachers or members with high school experience will be able to offer some great suggestions.

Is there not a school-wide policy in place for such disruptions, or are you hoping to reach this child using other tactics?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

I think you need to appeal to HIM, not his mom.

I agree with JustMe-- there's probably a large file in him in guidance; his guidance counselor should be your first stop.

But you have this Senior in 9th grade English? (Or am I missing something??)

It seems to me that he needs to realize exactly why this education stuff is important. That if he can't pass 9th grade English, he'll never be able to get the type of job that will break the cycle and get him the kind of life he wants. Of all the 'when are we going to use this?" subjects, English is probably the easiest-- you can't get a real job if you can't communicate effectively.

What are his plans for next year? College? Job? Could you work with him on sample job applications, particularly the kind that require some writing?

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jun 16, 2010

He's 18 and technically an adult...I think your best bet for reaching him is trying to build a connection with him to get him on board. I doubt that any kind of consequences will do much good given his home situation. If he's still coming to school, he must want to make something of himself, otherwise I would think he'd not bother coming given his age.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

I agree with Alice. He's 18, legally an adult, so you need to sit down with him and talk. Ask him what his plans are after HS, where does he see himself in 5, 10 years, and then ask him what goals he has for himself and what he plans to do to reach them. If he doesn't have any, help him out with those.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2010

I agree (with everyone, actually). But I like your point that he IS still coming to school.

OP should take advantage of that and reach out a helping hand, if possible.

8. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

Alice, my schedule changed this year and I will be teaching 12th and 8th. I don't have time to read all the replies right now, but I certainly appreciate them. I'm really trying to anticipate issues I might have next year and come up with a plan for dealing with them. Thanks. I will read everything later and reply to all.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2010

OH, good. That makes a whole lot more sense!

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2010

Maybe appeal to his adult side and talk to him about the adult consequences to his behaviors; lose his job, kicked out of college, divorce, jail, etc..