Consequences

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcr, Jun 20, 2005.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 20, 2005

What kind of consequences do you have for students that break rules? Mine are as follows:

1. Warning
    2. Five minutes of recess
    3. Ten minutes of recess
    4. Entire recess and a phone call home
    5. Principal's office

I rarely get past losing a whole recess.

I am moving, so I am currently looking for a new teaching position. My school didn't mind using recess as a consequence, but are there any schools where this is frowned upon? What do you do alternatively?

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2005

Mine are:

1. warning
    2. five minute time out (might be recess, centers, immediate, whatever works best)
    3. phone call home
    4. office referral

We rarely go past the time out.

4. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 20, 2005

I use little clips with students' names on them and a traffic sign:
    1. First verbal warning - move a clip to yellow
    2. 2nd verbal warning - move a clip to red
    3. Sign the behavior book - plan taken home for parents to sign
    4. Visit to principal's office

5. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

My district does not allow us to take away recess as a consequnce, so I try to use "logical" consequences whenever possible. I have included a list of examples below:

talking- time out, move away from the group, take assignment to complete in another room, walk laps for part of recess (the law just says they have to be active at recess, it doesn't say they have to be social), phone call home

disrespectful to other students- time out, apology note (if genuinley sorry), move away from the group, phone call home

disrespectful to me (i.e. talking back, eye rolling, etc) or hitting/fighting- do not pass go, do not collect $200, this is an automatic office referral

not following directions: redo the assignment (if written) or given an alternative assignment (if it were a game or "fun" project)

not completing assignment: take home for homework (with generic note for parent that explains the situation), receive a 0

Often I just think on my feet and whatever "punishment" best fits the "crime", I go with it. Hope this helps!!