Consequences/Reward Systems--What Works?

Discussion in 'High School' started by love2learn07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas on consequences/ rewards systems that work well at the high school level. What have you found to be most manageable and easy to implement? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

3. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I'm not sure if this will work as it will be the first time I've implemented it.

Someone posted that they are doing Deal or No Neal. I'm doing on Friday's. But I tweaked it to fit my classroom.

I'm also using a jar for group behavior. When they collectively do something well, I'll add a marble or some kind of trinket to the jar. When it's full, they will all get some kind of prize.

If you search the forums, you'll fine the Deal or No Deal procedures.

Also, my goal is to do fun and meaningful work so they won't get bored.

4. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I'm still learning, but I'll let you know what I'm doing as well as some of the things I've seen.

First of all, give students the choice. Simply say something like, "Students, this is your classroom. I'm the facilitator. You choose how the class runs and the tone of the classroom. If you're hard on me, I will be hard on you. If you stay on task and act appropriately, I will be cool with you and you'll probably get quite a bit of freedom. It's up to you."

Also, just lay out the basics of your room. Treat the equipment/desks well so that they can continue to use them. No food, gum, whatever.

A teacher I'm co-teaching with this year is utilizing a "time out" chair. Even though it's quite juvenile, it's unappealing to the students because it makes them feel like babies. So they're not gonna act like babies if they don't want to get treated like babies. Just keep explaining to them that it's their choice and you have no problem either being a stickler or being a little more "cool."

As far as rewards, positive reinforcement is huge. A call or phone call home telling something good the student did is great. A lot of times, parents only hear from teachers when their student has done something wrong. So a positive one is a nice change or pace. And baked goods once a month are a good thing too!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

We play homeworkopoly in my class, but it is based on grades AND behavior for the week.

I also do baked goods because I love to bake and its cheap. I do this as a competition between my classes if we are doing a project, or as incentive to participate in a school event or something. Whichever class has the most X gets to choose their treat. Try not to do this too often though, i also like to teach them about healthy eating.

6. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Thanks! I've been planning to do more positive phone calls home, and think my kids would really enjoy baked goods and the Deal or No Deal game. May I ask how you plan to "tweak" the Deal or No Deal to fit your class teachsph2008? I'm wondering if I should keep some kind of chart to monitor their weekly behavior so it will be crystal clear why they aren't eligible to play the game if they're off task ?

I want to do some type of individual points system as well (i.e. a certain amount of daily points for being prepared, exhibiting good behavior, etc.) but don't want to get overwhelmed and not be able to keep up with it. Anyone have any ideas?

7. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

love2learn,

Through out the week if a student is doing something well...on task, making good choices, helping out etc, they may earn a slip to go into my envelope or jar. They will not always earn this, it will be done randomly.

At the end of the week, I'll pull one of the names and that student wins a chance to play the game. So those students who doing what they are supposed to, have more chances to win.

8. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I love these ideas! Its my first year teaching and the emphasis from the school has been on rules and consequences, not on rewards. School starts Monday so I'm going to have to work hard this weekend to add this to my first days.:thanks:

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

I did a search for Deal or No Deal but I couldn't find it. Can someone please post the link? Thanks!

10. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

11. bronski

bronski New Member

Aug 20, 2008

I think that a good way to deal with classroom management is to put the students into groups and get them to come up with their own class rules and regulations. That way, they will feel more inclined to follow them as the consequences will be they are judged by their peers. You can then get each group to create a poster on the particular rule they have chosen and display them around the classroom.