Consequences other than recess?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsFrench, Jul 1, 2007.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

Last year teaching, I took away recess for breaking rules. Like many others, I do agree that most kids NEED that recess time to chill out and have some fun. What are some other consequences I could use instead of taking away recess? I can't seem to come up with anything. This is for a third grade class. Thanks :)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

It depends on what you build in for rewards. If you have a PAT time or token economy the consequences lie in those. Sometimes the consequences can be more instant and logical like moving the class clown or talker away from the group of friends. Sometimes learning the kids and excercising preventive maintence so that it minimizes or extingishes the behavior might help. I can't tell you any full penalties without suggesting ones you build in. Maybe someone else can.

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I use behavior bucks which help out alot. I take money when they break rules, and give money when they behave. Then they go shopping at the end of the month. It helps ALOT! Also if for some reason the entire class was doing wrong I usually assign laps at recess which means they have to walk a certain amount of time or amount of laps. It cuts down on those kids because they want to play so bad but they still can get some movement out. I let them run if they want. I will also let them go to another teachers classroom for a short period of time if they need time to cool off. Just some other ideas.

5. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

I have them sit by themselves (or with a different class) during lunchtime.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

I agree. If you read Fred Jones' book, Tools for Teaching, you will learn how to deal with kids without having to move to expensive backup plans, which really don't do anything. You want to increase positive behavior and reduce negative behavior. Taking away recess doesn't really do this.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2007

Our entire school and actually state was not allowed to take recess as a form of "punishment" or as a consequence. It's a new state initiative etc. We really struggled and had a hard time thinking of how we will enforce the rules etc. What I really feel that it boils down to and that we found out was that natural consequences and involving parents worked really well. Hope that made sense...

8. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

yeah, mine is similar to those listed above. we have classroom money, student written parent letters, and loss of classroom freedoms. classroom freedoms & responsibilities include choosing places in the room to work or choosing own partner during paired activities. i use 1-2-3 Magic in my classroom so if they go to 3, they haven't demonstrated that they can be responsible to make good choices. they've learned that my choices for them aren't fun.