Consequences on the first day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mkate, Aug 28, 2014.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

Reading the "no honeymoon" thread got me to wondering. I am moving to a new school this year, with a more difficult student population, and I am wondering if I will face discipline challenges right from the get go. Of course we will start out the year reviewing procedures and rules etc, but have others had to actually implement consequences on the first day? (For example, here "no recess" is a popular consequence. Or notes home, though I imagine a note home on the first day may work against the building of positive parent-teacher relationships.)

I am hoping not to be in this situation, but am wondering if others have...

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 28, 2014

I come prepared to do so. If someone is breaking the rules the first day I might frame it as a good example of what not to do. And say that we're going to practice the consequence system making certain that the student who did the rule breaking knows that it's just a practice for that day, but tomorrow it will be "real".

(it's still real the first day, but you know what I mean)

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2014

:thumb:

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 28, 2014

I teach high school, so I'm not sure if it's any different from younger kids, but I feel that on the 1st day there's a lot of excitement going on. New year, catching up with old friends, making new friends, getting used to being in school again, etc. Our kids had so much to say :)
    We reviewed the rules, and spent some time on procedures, and I did let them talk more, but it was more like 'ok, we're done what I've planned for today, so I'm giving you guys this last 10 minutes to catch up". Or I reminded them during the lesson, that I know it's still early and they have a lot to share, so let's get through the lesson and then they will have 5-10 minutes left over.
    Everything was on a second chance- mode, i.e. 'this is not acceptable behavior, ut today I'm going to cut you some slack, because it's the 1st (or 2nd) day of the year. But understand that it will not be ok next time". etc.

There are always some kids who want to test you, and if you're new, a lot of them might want to test you to see what they can get away with, and how you will react.

6. mkate

mkate Comrade

Aug 29, 2014

Thanks, everyone! This all makes sense...

7. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Aug 29, 2014

We actually were just talking about this in classroom management class at college. One student entered her practicum this semester and wrote several referrals on the first day because her principal encourages teachers to liberally use office referrals.

Our professor of course disagreed with this as she believes it is a sign that a teacher doesn't have control of their own classroom if they are constantly sending kids to the office for discipline.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2014

ICAM with your professor, IMO.

Every Admin I have worked for has not been happy with teachers that send kids to the office, write too many referrals or that put kids out of class - even though they often tell us to do these thing when dealing behavior problems because this is school protocol.

I work with a difficult population - Admin acknowledges this - still, teachers are punished if they constantly expect Admin/office staff to deal with their classroom behavior problems. Even when kids are fighting; Admin will say, "well, if the kids were engaged they wouldn't be fighting."