Consequences help!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by summersun61, Jul 21, 2005.

1. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

At my school the classes have 40 minute P.E. blocks but no recess block. I want to do a card pulling system with my kindergarten class. Since most people take away bits of recess as the third or final consequence what do i do? I don't like the idea of time out in the classroom (it takes away from learning time). Any suggesstions about what i can take away? :) :thanks:

3. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

Did i mention it is my first year.....:)

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

For the couple of years that we didn't have recess, I just used the same system I always used - red was time out. If it fell on the one day a week when we did have recess, great!! If not, they got their time out during center time or immediately if warranted. Not having recess wasn't a problem for me.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 21, 2005

If a child has a job I will take it away. I usually let the kids color, read and do puzzles after snack while we wait for the rest finish eating. If the are acting up they have to stay in their chair and aren't allowed to play with their friends. Also I use a star chart. If the child is on green by the end of the day they get a star. Once they earn 10 they can recieve a prize.
    I have only taken recess away once in the past 4 years.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

Taking away a job privlege would work! I know how they love their job. Also, won't you have some free choice time? They may have to miss some of that. Sometimes you just have to pull them out of circle time..........they can listen but not participate.......they hate missing out and you probably wouldn't have to do it more than twice! Are you an all day program? If so, no recess? Poor kiddos! :(

7. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

Yeah it's an all day program but they do have 40 minutes of outside PE which a portion of time is free play(but it's with the PE teacher). I like the idea of taking away the class job and making them move out of circle time. Thanks!

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2005

I take away a fun activity for that day. Head down if there's nothing fun going on. :)