Consequences after class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Nichole906, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

One of my weaknesses is classroom management. I'm trying to nip bad behavior in the bud. So far things had been fine, but today one of my classes was just nuts. Disrespectful, off task, loud. I usually try to sent kids into the hall if they aren't following expectations so I can talk to them privately, but in this class it didn't seem to help and I ended up returning to class feeling stressed out and defeated. So, I thought it might be better if I ask them to stay after class for a moment so we can decide on consequences later. Does anyone find this to be effective or have any advice?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 18, 2013

Unless that's your last bell, wouldn't them staying back make them late to their next block?

4. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

Actually for this particular class, its right before our 15 minute morning break, so that isn't an issue.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 18, 2013

Honestly, no. Unless every single kid is 100% of the problem. It will make the good students angry.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2013

Kids that waste your teaching time owe you time off their fifteen minute break..if it truly is a break time for them and they don't have to be somewhere else.... :thumb:

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 18, 2013

Keep the kid after class for a few minutes to discuss, especially since you have that 15 minutes.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2013

Keeping kids after a class can make them late to their next class. It sets them up for failure, since they're late for class because they obeyed your instructions. Aren't they supposed to be somewhere during that 15 minutes?

Keep them after school, not after class.

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 18, 2013

I have these nice little cards printed up that say "Congratulations! You have earned detention! Speak with Ms. S on ____ at _____"

So then kids that are going nuts get this awesome little green card dropped quietly on their desk. Sometimes I give them the opportunity to "work their way out of detention." Sometimes they have lunch with me. etc

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2013

While the rest of the class is finishing up the closure activity, pull the offending student aside and have your talk then. That's what I do and it works for me without making anyone late for their next class.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 18, 2013

One thing I'm finding annoying is that a lot of the other teachers are doing lunch detentions. The reason I'm finding it annoying is because the students express desire to come in for extra help during lunch but they can't because they are serving lunch detentions.

I understand the need for a classroom management action but when these same kids are in lunch detention every day it must be frustrating for them and is somewhat frustrating for me.

I would never do a whole class punishment. The good kids hate it, and it pulls the rest of the kids onto the side of the one misbehaving, or worse, puts them at stark opposition to the misbehaving student. I've come to realize that setting the rest of the class against those who misbehave is NOT the way to go about things, because it exacerbates the misbehavior and alienates the kid.

Honestly with misbehavior, I find that the more you talk about it, the less effective you are and the more stressed you will be. I would only pull students aside to talk in extreme circumstances, and in those cases have the students do most of the talking.

I would recommend reading smartclassroommanagement.com, especially the archives on "Classroom Management Plan". http://www.smartclassroommanagement...agement-plan-classroom-management-strategies/

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2013

In my school, lunch is sacrocanct.

No detentions, no extra help, no hanging out in a bathroom or the library or anywhere else. If administration needs you, and you're supposed to be in lunch, you had better be either in the cafeteria or in one of the bathrooms directly across the hall from it.

13. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 19, 2013

If a kid is in lunch detention every day, then it's obviously not working and they need to stop getting detentions and start getting referrals. My policy is two. If you get two and keep it up, then we start taking more drastic measures. I certainly don't want to have kids in trouble in my room every day at lunch!

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2013

I agree strongly with you that whole class punishment is ineffective.

When we have detentions, most teachers allow students to use part of the detention time to ask for help with work they are having difficulty with because of similar reasons that you brought up. Could this be considered?

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 19, 2013

Are you asking me or OP? I'm not the one giving lunch detentions, it's the teacher across the hall. My system is now set up that if you get a lunch detention it is a very serious consequence. 98% of misbehavior is dealt with during the class period.

16. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree - whole class punishments never work, I was just talking about keeping the disruptive students after. However, they were perfectly well behaved the rest of this week, so I didn't have to.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 22, 2013

OP...Sorry I didn't clarify that.

18. DrBill

DrBill Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

"Hi,

Sending them to the hall to speak to them privately is a good start! Just talking won't do the trick however:) I just wrote a post for you about one of my favorite strategies. It probably won't solve all of your problems but I hope it helps. It is titled "Lunch Practice - A Behavior Management Strategy for Disruptive Students"

You can find it on my blog. I'd post link, but the managers of this site won't allow it. A quick Google search will get your there:)

Good luck, and post a comment if you have any questions,

Dr. Bill
    PD Corner

19. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

Do not keep them after class any longer than a couple minutes (and infrequently) unless your class is before a recess break. What I do is that I require students report to me at the next recess break. Failure to report to me at the agreed upon time means an automatic phone call home.