Consequence for No Homework

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by lblau6680, Aug 27, 2007.

1. lblau6680

lblau6680 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

If a student is missing a homework assignment I have he/she fill out a homework excuse form. I will send these slips home in their Friday Folder. However, parents could care less about their missing homework, so my ? for everyone is, what would be a good instant consequence to give to those students who are missing homework? I do play homeworkopoly on Fridays and only those who have completed all homework get to play, but still if I dont give out a consequence immediately, my students think they are getting away without doing their homework. I need a good instant consequence.

I can't take away recess and I don't want to give detentions because I dont think I should be punished because of their lack of doing their work.

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

i think it is great that you are making parents aware of missing homework. i know some of them may seem like they don't care but it is good that they know if for nothing else that when they see grades they are not completely surprised.
    instead of a consequence you may try more positive rewards first. homeworkopoly is a great one. when i taught sixth grade i would put students names who had turned all their homework in into a drawing for free homework passes. they loved this because they would get to skip a homework assignment if their name was drawn.
    also i think explaining to them how important it is to turn in homework. even showing the negative consequence in regard to grades. print up a grade sheet and show them what their grade is ever friday. hopefully they will be able to see what a negative effect missing homework has on their overall grade.
    on a side note....i think it is really important to make homework something that is not just something you do but something important and relevant.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 27, 2007

If the kids don't do their homework, they do it at school during recess. Some schools don't allow this, but I find they do this a couple of times, and they don't do it again!

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

What about silent lunch?

6. lblau6680

lblau6680 Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I cant take away recess or do silent lunch any other options??

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

Detention after school? That way they can get their homework done, wasting their time (and your's...). We do Responsibility Plans in the 4th grade. I'm not going to get into the whole layout of RP's (if you are interested pm me). They have to write what right they broke for homework it is: I have the right to prove that I'm learning. They have to write what they did to break the right and how they plan to do the right thing. If they get 3 RP's in 1 grading period they have to serve detention.

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

I have Homework Club and Homework Hall of Fame. I don't know if this will work for you. If the student turns in every assignment in on time for a month they get in the Homework Club and 5 dollars in school money to use at the school store. If they turn in every assignment for the grading period they join the Homework Hall of Fame and get 10 dollars in school money. I'll have a bulletin to post their names.

P.S. I got this idea from a wonderful teacher on here. :)

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 29, 2007

All good ideas but but I agree with JenL isn't the ultimate consequence getting a 0 on the assignment? I taught 4th for a while as well as 6-8 and it really makes them think when they see what a few 0's does to their average.

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

I plan on giving 0's after giving them 1 day to complete it, or after I remind them once. I hate trying to keep track of who owes me homework.