Cons of Daily 5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissEmily, Dec 2, 2019.

1. MissEmily

MissEmily Rookie

Dec 2, 2019

I know there are a lot of pros to Daily 5, but I myself prefer the Reader’s Workshop Model. I want my students reading every day, and then reading with a partner every day as well. So that’s a con to the Daily 5 because students can choose what they want to do. Any other cons I’m not thinking of? This has become a topic at our grade level meetings and I want to contribute and share ideas.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2019

There is some regular prep work with word work portion of Daily 5. That's a con to me. It's also more difficult to manage than independent and partner reading.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 4, 2019

I've found there really aren't many cons to Daily Five IF you keep an eye on the students (to make sure they are not staying on the same thing without changing when it is time) and if you are doing the conferencing portion on an on-going and daily basis.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM

I am not real familiar w/ Daily 5 other than a very short training. The training was short because I didn't go any farther w/ it once I heard the amount of prep that had to be done for it. They may use it differently here.
    I already am so used to another reading program that I could do in my sleep. ( I did all of the prep on it years ago and it works.) I wish education would quit reinventing the wheel! I am thankful not to be tied to any 1 program though.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:32 AM

What is the program that you are so used to that you could do it in your sleep? Just curious.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM

I'd love to tell you, but it is very rare here. ( Used in other states a lot though...) Our P checks these boards. If you can start a conversation, I'll tell you in private. It is by no means, "The best program," but I learned to use it as a foundation of a reading program and to add to it / tweak it a lot when needed. It is not 1 that I'd like to have to follow exactly! :)

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...but Daily 5 does have reading to self and to someone every day. Mine only chose which order they do them. The con I had was limiting conferencing. Some kids want to talk and talk.

RainStorm likes this.