Connections Academy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elena3, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Apr 29, 2019

Has anyone worked for Connections Academy or any other on-line public school? Can you describe your experience and the pros and cons compared to working in a traditional brick and mortar school?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2019

Hi! I haven't taught at Connections, but I was at an online school for several years. You might want to run through this thread for information and opinions over the past decade.

Elena3 likes this.
  4. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Apr 29, 2019

Thanks, I did look through it but was hoping for some new posts. So what did you think of the experience?

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 30, 2019

I loved my time teaching students who needed that alternative environment! My biggest issue, which is common for online schools, was trying to engage students who used online schooling as a way to avoid school completely. If I were to ever go back to distance teaching, my biggest question is how the school deals with reluctant learners.

ms.irene likes this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 1, 2019

I know a teacher in my system who got let go went to work for either CA or K12. Making more money and good benefits. I daughter does CA and we LOVE it! She was such a lazy kid in a brick and mortar school. Would leave her homework in her locker. No excuses when you are at home and your parents have to submit your work. HAHA! She has straight A's... HIGH A's at that.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 1, 2019

Definitely NOT saying this is your daughter, but I tutored a student who was failing all of her classes in a public school. Her parents enrolled her in Connections Academy and a few months later her parents cancelled our tutoring because she was getting straight A's. This kid was vastly below grade level and the fact that she had gone from an F student to an A student baffled me. She certainly hadn't improved that much, although I do imagine she submitted the required work.

Through others' experiences, I've heard that class sizes or numbers of students assigned to a teacher can be very high. That's purely anecdotal though.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

May 2, 2019

So happy to hear of positive experiences with online charters. Overall they are the worst performing schools in the country. K12.Inc is known for a 60% dropout rate for high school seniors, a 12% graduation rate and a billion $$ in profit. I would be embarrassed to work for them.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 6, 2019

Oh I see where that can happen. The parent does it all for them. If they can't figure it out, they can look up the questions online and find the answers. My daughter was too lazy to even do that. LOL Even that took some effort.

We just knew that she was getting it done at home... leaving crap at school was her issue.

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 6, 2019

Here's what I love...everyone here is having a nice conversation and yet have different perspectives.
    I love that! Sorry for being off topic, but recently I've read some harsh comebacks and it is heartening to see that we are still civil here. :)

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 6, 2019

I have a friend who works for Connections Academy and enjoys that she doesn't have to deal with traditional classroom management issues. Yes, she still has kids that don't do work, but you aren't in the front of the room giving a lesson and dealing with kids shouting out, being disrespectful, etc. and of course there are no severe issues like fights or violence. She also enjoys being able to help students who were unsuccessful in traditional school.

I personally wouldn't like something like that all. Even as an introvert, I enjoy the social aspects of school way too much to just work from home by myself, and I enjoy interacting with my students face to face. To me, online teaching would take out all of the best parts of the job. I've always thought that working from home (teaching or otherwise) would depress me- I like getting dressed up and having somewhere to go each day.

JesusIsMyTeach likes this.
  12. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Oct 9, 2019

My mom knew someone who said she didn't get paid on time with Connections Academy. Did your friend get paid on time?

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 11, 2019

I have a friend who works for Connections. She loves it! She says there are just a lot fewer hassles like behavioral issues.