Connection between today and the world

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Mar 11, 2011.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

As we all know, the tsumanis and earthquakes in Japan today really affected many people. This morning, one of my 5 year olds was giving the class the weather report when he told me "I saw the big wave on TV and lots of people got hurt and all their buildings washed away". This sparked a big discussion about how the people in Japan lost many things, even some schools. One of the students asked how the school was going to get rebuilt. I told them with lots of money and helpers. We talked about how we live very far away from this place and something like a tsumani will never happen in our rural farm town. We discussed about what we could do to help and we talked about connecting coins. One of my other students thought maybe the big kids (from our grade school) could help donate coins.

I just thought this was amazing, even our youngest in the school systems are concerned and wonder what they can do to help. Next week we are going to set up tins for people to bring change and donate. They loved the idea of making posters and going to visit the rooms.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

That sort of social consciousness is so very important!!! How wise of you to take advantage of that teachable moment.

When you next discuss it, you can tie it into geography and science, even spelling words.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 11, 2011

Spelling
    Fine Motor
    Geography/social studies
    helping/social skills
    coin sorting-math
    coin counting-math
    field trip to the bank
    visit with local news caster?
    interest in foriegn culture/social skills

This could go on and on!!!!! I love emergent lessons!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

That is truly what education should be about! It's nice to see such awareness in the students.