Connected Math

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by osutx, Aug 9, 2007.

1. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Does anyone do connected math at their school? We have done two of the units before, but they just moved three other units down from 6th grade to us. I am excited to do this, but just curious if anyone else has experience with this. Our school district is trying to better equip our kids for HS, so as a mom I'm all for this:)
    I just spent the last three days in training. Wow am I overloaded. Good information, just lots of it!

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

We use scott foresman.:mad: I'm not afraid to say that I am NOT a fan.
    So, what is Connected Math like?

4. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

We use Scott Foresman too. Connected math is great as far as it gives kids more than one way to solve a problem. The kids really do well with it. In the training I went to this week, it really helps the kids understand the concepts that are presented in the Scott Foresman book and presents it in a different way. I think its hard for us old timers when we can't say "do it exactly this way". Basically it's a lot of higher level thinking. It makes me a little nervous, cause math is not my strong suit. I will just have to study MORE!

5. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Is this anything like giving the students one problem and letting them spend the entire hour focusing on this one problem and finding all of the different ways to solve it?

6. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

No, this is a different way of teaching things. They have a book over a few topics. The first one is "Prime Time". It covers a small amount of information, but there are several lessons that take it more in depth. There is more than one way to solve the problem and you do a lot of class discussion and a lot of group work. It really makes them think outside the box.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I have experience with CMP and can say there are activities I like, but the program overall is not well suited to my students who are mainly English Language Learners and low achieving. The district middle schools are split in favor and against it and it all depends on their student population.

8. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

The middle school has been doing cmp, we had two units and now we are doing 3 more. Hope it works well for us!