Confusion on becoming a K-6 Teacher

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by GsuTeach, Mar 18, 2008.

1. GsuTeach

GsuTeach New Member

Mar 18, 2008

Hello all,

I am trying to get questions answered but it seems that I'm going around in circles! :eek: Here's my question:

I have a B.A. in Political Science and I am taking the (Florida) Elementary K-6 exam on April 23. My problem is that I only have a 2.4 GPA. I have heard multiple answers that I will and will not be able to become a teacher because of this GPA.

Should I still take the exam and will my college GPA hurt me?

Thank you so much!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2008

Are you going for an alternative certification?

4. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Check with the colleges your applying too. They will tell you what the GPA requirements are for admission. Beyond that I have never been asked what my college GPA is on an application for a teaching position.

5. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Each state and school district is different. I wouldn't count it out as an option until you try.

6. GsuTeach

GsuTeach New Member

Mar 19, 2008

Yes, I am going for an alternative certification but not taking the classes. I'm attempting to pass the K-6 exam. I heard the exam is very tough. It seems that becoming a teacher is one of the most difficult things to do!

Any advice on interviewing with a school once I pass the test?

7. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Apr 15, 2008

I'm sorry for the late reply but this is how it is in my state:

You CANNOT be enrolled or be accepted into the Education Dept or graduate from an accredited college with a low GPA. If you are going for alternate certification, I would check your state's guidelines regarding certification.

I have found that if you were not properly trained to be an educator (college courses), the exams the state requires you to take can be very tough.

As for getting hired, in my state they require official transcripts to prove your GPA/certification status. Also, they would need to see some sort of previous classroom experience (student teaching, at the least) on your resume.

Good luck to you and your future teaching career! Let us know how you're doing.