CONFUSING JOB OFFER

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by candyapple, Jul 28, 2019.

1. candyapple

candyapple New Member

Jul 28, 2019

Hi:
    After a frustrating three year search in a very competitive job market, I applied and was offered a long term sub position in a very good school district. Honestly, even though I have excellent references and did several long term sub positions, the job market here is so tight that I was thinking I would have to move or find another career. I need a full time job, however, I decided to apply for this high school position even though it was for a long term sub.

Here's what they told me and any insight would be very helpful. They called me in for an interview and started out by saying that the position has become permanent and full time because the person who had the job (maternity leave) unexpectedly resigned. The position was for one semester after which the job would be posted sometime in November. I asked if I got the job if I could post internally and the super told me that if I was still interested just to drop him an e-mail. No need to go for another formal interview. After it was all said and done, they called me later that day and offered me the job.

I go for new teacher orientation next month and will be signing a contract soon. However, I am puzzled and nervous. If the teacher unexpectedly resigned, why not offer me the full time position right off the bat ? Why must it be re-posted in the fall? Am I just doing this job until the person they are waiting to hire will be available in January? I would love to work in this district but am afraid of getting my hopes up (again.)

Any insight would be much appreciated.

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jul 28, 2019

It's really hard to say. My gut would be that they know they can keep or drop you mid year based on how you do and they want to keep that card in their hand for now. But, again, it's hard to say. Go in there and rock it!

bella84 likes this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 28, 2019

Ah, the world of education.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2019

Are they paying you the full time salary/benefits right away or are they paying you like a long term sub? If it's the latter, they have it set up that way so they can save money on their end. Like the pp said, they can also decide whether or not to keep you on for the full time position depending on how you do the first semester. If it's not going well, they don't have to commit to keeping you for the full year.

In most cases I would advise against this and say keep looking for a full time position. But if the market in you area is really that bad, this might be a good way to get your foot in the door- it's certainly more promising than something like day to day subbing or taking a paraprofessional job. Around here, school also starts very soon so there isn't much time left to job hunt anyway. So given your situation, I'd say take it and do your absolute best so they want to keep you on for the full time position. I would also keep checking for mid-year openings for full time jobs and apply/interview for any that you see. While hopefully this school wants to keep you on, there is no guarantee. If you happen to land a new full time position for the second semester elsewhere, you can use that as a bargaining chip. Tell the current school you're hoping to stay on, but you have an offer you need to respond to by x date and you plan on taking it unless the current school allows you to sign the full time contract.

Ms.Holyoke and bella84 like this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2019

First of all, :welcome::atoz_love:
    Second, I moved your query to the Job Seekers forum, which makes a little more sense.
    Third, when you get a contract, READ IT CAREFULLY.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 28, 2019

When does school start? That may play into the equation. In my area, openings must be posted for a certain number of days. Therefore, rather than repost now, my district would hire a LTS for one semester. The job would then be posted again in the middle of the year. However, in most cases, if the LTS has gone well, that person has a foot in the door.

8. candyapple

candyapple New Member

Jul 28, 2019

Well, school is starting around August 21 or something for this district. They said it will be sub pay at first and then the wage will increase and benefits will kick in after sixty days, I believe. By that time the job may be ending anyway so it's a moot point I suppose, unless they hire me.

Will definitely read the contract with a fine tooth comb when I get it. Since I have no other offers, I will take the job and really try to impress the powers that be. I said that I would want the job during the interview. Should I let them know my interest in the position again early in the school year, such as September?

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2019

I received a similar job offer. A teacher was retiring in November and I would work as a long term sub for two months until she retired. I didn't like it because she didn't even teach the subject or grade I was filling...it was a budget thing. However, I do think that it would have been fine and they assured me that I would get a contract November 1st.

I turned it down because I already had a full time job and while I live in a competitive area, I teach math. If I was looking for a job for 3 years and I got this offer, I would take it. I would ask if you can sign the contract NOW. Have they verbally assured you that they will hire you after the long term sub?

Also, what type of contract are you signing?

10. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 29, 2019

It sounds like you have been offered the leave position only. To me when the super said to email him if you are interested in the position means that although you will not have to formally interview again, they will still be doing interviews with other candidates while also keeping your name apart of the candidate list. The reason they are doing it like this is probably a couple reasons. 1. Like other have said, to save the district money and 2. Since it was advertised as a leave position, they would have to re-advertise as a full time position and the required posting length may be longer then the time frame they have left until school starts.

Obviously, if you have no other job prospects, take it but realize the time you are there will pretty much be a long job interview. Could they have another teacher in mind for the position? Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't make their decision very difficult. Make sure you are always on top of your game. Best of luck.

11. candyapple

candyapple New Member

Jul 29, 2019

I am signing the contract this week and am assuming it will be for the long term sub. However, I will read it very, very carefully. At least it makes more sense why they posted it the way they did. But no, they did not assure me they would hire me when the position is over. They did say to contact the super and let him know I was interested (shoot him an e-mail was his verbage.)

Yes, it is a long term sub for sure but since it is late July and no other prospects are here, I'm going go above and beyond (and then some) and try to get that job come November. I know I will be observed under a magnifying class and it will be tough. At the very least, I will get some full time experience.

My mom, who is a teacher said that I need to come in early and stay late, volunteer if have something that needs to be filled, don't take any sick time unless on your death bed and even try to come in and be pleasant, conscientious and a team player (I try to be that way anyway ;) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want and need this job!

Thanks for all the input. It really helped clear things up for me.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2019

I think you should accept this job but continue to look for a full time position. Most schools will understand if you leave a long term sub job for something full time.

It's strange that they would not give you assurance that they would hire you full time. It is definitely better for the kids to have continuity with one teacher.