confused!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jan 19, 2009

We have to do our plans by the month and each teacher on my grade level is assigned a subject to write plans for. After we send our plans to each other we must compile them all together using Excel-per the P. It is very tedious to combine a month of plans for 7 different subject area..lots of cutting and pasting. So...my idea was back in October was to have each teacher take turns compiling the plans after they have all been written so Suzie does Nov, Mary does Dec and so on, Therefore the P would only have one set to read and send feedback on since we are all required to do the same thing each day....I even asked the P since we turn them into her and she said sure what ever makes it easier on your team. Guess what?? My team does not want to do it...I asked them again Friday and they said no. I am confused! They complain about how long it takes to compile plans....but do not want to do anything about it!:huh: I could understand if we had a teacher on our team who was not responsible, but we dont we are lucky b/c we are all very responsible and get things in early. Any ideas....am I crazy for suggesting this? I was just trying to make life a little easier:)

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

Well, you can't make someone do something they don't want to do. Have they given you a reason for not wanting to take turns? If you don't know maybe you should ask. If you can convince even one teacher to share the load you might be able to eventually convince the others that it is a good idea.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2009

It could be that they all have their own set way of writing their plans, and if one person does it for the month, it could be that the person doesn't do it like the other teachers. It sounds like it would be easier, but if you don't do it the way Mary does it and she doesn't understand something that you put down, she might have to take time to come ask you to clear something up.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

I wonder if they want to tweak them to fit their needs? It certainly makes sense to me, but I could guess that is their thought.... well maybe. I would do it with you.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

I think it's a great suggestion and can't understand why the others don't buy into it??

This year I suggested that we write plans together. We have thirteen 2nd grade teachers and half are on duty one semester, the other half the other. The teachers who were on duty the first semester didn't write plans but received plans from everyone else. I'm not writing plans this month but have duty. The 13th person is the gopher person for both semesters, she's responsible for copying all the plans and distribution. We had a slacker the first semester, but he muddled through and we made it.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 19, 2009

i never heard of sharing plans in this manner, it sounds like great teaming. Maybe if you volunteered to put the plans together first, everyone would see how fun it is to do it your way?

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 19, 2009

Lind,
    I know that I wouldn't want to use another teacher's plans -- even if they were the best teacher on the planet.

For me, even the cut-and-pasting would be a part I'd want to do, because it is how I'd get the information in my head. It is when I think of pacing, and how I'm going to integrate the material. That is part of how I assimilate the information and plan through my lessons.

I can't stand using other teacher's plans! (I've tried many times over the years.) It isn't a matter of the quality of their plans, it is simply I have my own way of doing it that I'm comfortable with. Plans that are just handed to me are basically worthless to me -- for me it is the process of writing them, or even just incorporating them from the curriculum guide through cut-and-paste is essential. Just reading through someone else's plans is worthless to me. Over the years, I've worked with many other teachers who feel the same way -- so I know I'm not unique in that way.

We all work differently. While you think sharing would work great for you, obviously, your colleagues feel differently. They certainly have that right.

Your plan will only work if everyone willingly "buys into it."

You certainly aren't crazy for suggesting it. But while you think this is a way that will make your life easier, your colleagues do not agree. You'll have to respect that.

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jan 19, 2009

Do you all have the same template to complete and submit to your principal?? If so, I would suggest that one person fill-in their plans, email to the next person, and so on until everyone is done then. The final person will have a complete set to resend to everyone as well as forward to the principal. The only problem would be that "one" person who does not do their share in a timely manner.