Confused...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

Hello everyone,

I hope your preparation for the new school year is going well. This may be a very basic question to most of you, however, I am new to kindergarten and have little experience with this age group. My question is about centers. From everything I've read, you should not introduce the center activities until a few weeks after school starts. So, what do you have the kids do in the meantime until you start bringing out the centers? Thanks for your tips! :)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

Routines, routines, and more routines. They need to be shown everything. Don't take anything for granted. Have fun with them.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

We do centers right away in Pre-k... We phase our kids in though too...

5. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I'm also going to be teaching kindergarten and am confused about what to do during my block of centers after talking about routines and such. While student teaching last year (a kindergarten class) my cooperating teacher still had centers. After explaining where certain centers are and the groups, she practiced with the students on how to go to the centers. Then she had the assistant be on 'center control' (she called it crowd control) while she worked with small groups on a simple activity. The class only had one to two centers per group. I remember that it mostly consisted on kids crying because they were stuck in these specific centers the whole time period, but they do end up getting used to it!

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks! But what activities do you provide your students before you open your center activities?

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2006

We do calendar and then tell them what's "open" and what is "closed."

8. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

if you know what type of centers you will be having then you could actually have 1 or 2 out for "practice" time. you could go over the routine, how to do it and clean up. change it up everyday or every couple of days. then by the time you want to start centers they will be used to the activities and you would just need to do crowd control, etc. hope this makes sense.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

Limit the amount of supplies in the center at first. For instance, if they go to blocks/building center, only have a basket of blocks until all the children have had a chance to demonstrate how to clean up properly. Same for housekeeping..........you then can gradually add more supplies to the centers as they learn the proper way to use and clean up. I spend lots of time focusing on cleaning up! I always have some who are very good at it, while some are such slackers , they just sit there and expect the others to do it. I have to teach them to ALL work together. That is a big part of centers, as well as learning HOW to use the supplies correctly.