Confused?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Miz_Sanders, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Mar 7, 2006

I see all these things about CBEST, Praxis, etc. I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Here in Oklahoma, you must take 3 tests to become a certified teacher and pass 3 internships. The first test is the OGET, (Oklahoma General Education Test), the second is the OSAT (Oklahoma Subject Area Test), and the third is the OPTE (Oklahoma Professional Teacher Examination). The first internship is one day a week for a semester, just observing, the second is two days a week a semester and half of it is spent teaching, and the third is a full semester of teaching. I was curious how this compares with other areas. Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2006

Your OGET is, I'd guess, comparable to our CBEST and to Praxis I or PPST; your OSAT is probably our CSET or Praxis II for subject matter rather than pedagogy; and I'm assuming the OPTE is roughly equivalent to Praxis II's Foundations of Teaching and Learning exams, which in California are required only of those who don't go through a traditional credential program.

Thanks for cluing me in about OGET and OSAT. Are those exams from NES, by any chance? Have you taken any or all? How do they compare to familiar exams like the SAT or Advanced Placement exams?

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2006

There are so many different tests depending on what state you are looking at.

CBEST is the California Basic Educational Skills Test. That is a huge misnomer IMHO. It is just a reading, math and writing test at something below the level a high school graduate should have mastered. It serves as a bar to ensure that people who become teachers in California, or for that matter enter a teacher preparation program, have at least a minimal competence in the 3Rs and has nothing to do with the ability to teach per se. It was developed for the state and administered by a company named National Evaluation Systems, Inc. (NES).

In addition to passing CBEST, teacher candidates in California must prove subject matter competence. That can be done by completing a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved subject matter program at a university (pretty much equivalent to a major in liberal arts for primary school teachers, or a major in math, physics, English, etc. for secondary school teachers) or pass the appropriate subject matter exam. That used to be Single Subject Assessments for Teaching (SSAT) from NES and Praxis from Educational Testing Services (ETS). They have been replaced by California Subject Exams for Teachers (CSET) from NES.

AFAIK Praxis only comes into play in California in a small way now. There are the Teaching Foundations tests that let interns shortcup the internship program, for example.

BTW, internship in California seems to have a different meaning than where you are. I think what you call internship is what we call student teaching. Here, an intern can be the teacher of record and earn a full salary while working on their credential.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2006

Texas teacher

In Texas we have to take two tests. One for content and the other for pedagogy. We also have to do a semester of student teaching or if an alternative certification program a year of internship. This internship you are the lead teacher in a classroom. Although they are going to have to look at this because of NCLB. I went alternative and was not hired by any district because I was not certified. So although I have my certification I have not done any student teaching or an internship. I have though subbed for 6 years.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 8, 2006

In Massachusetts we have to take 3 MTELs (Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure). The first tests your basic reading and writing skills, the second tests your knowledge of the curriculum at the grade level you're getting licensed for and the third is only taken by early childhood and elementary majors and it tests your knowledge of teaching reading. Most colleges require students to do several hours of observation and prepracticum service hours in different grade levels and then have one full semester of practicum (student teaching) before graduating.

7. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

Yes, they are NES exams. I have taken all of them and passed them all the first time, which seems to be a quite an acomplishment. I know some people who can't get into the education program because they can not pass the OGET. :eek: The OGET is much like the ACT except there is an Arts section and a written section. It's just a general knowledge test. The OSAT, is unlike any other test I have taken before, approx 100 questions with two essays. The OSAT is the test we must take to get certified in each specific area. So if you wanted to be a middle school math teacher, you have to take the 2 elem ed subtests, and the math ed test. The OPTE was approx 100 questions, and 3 essays. The OPTE took 4 WHOLE hours to complete! :( It was all about laws and policies, teaching strategies, etc. I hope that answers your question. :)

8. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

Thank you all for replying!!!! It sure is crazy how it varies from state to state. Here, even if you are a para in a public school, you must take all 3 tests, and complete your 3 internships before you can get your teaching certificate. The only difference between alternate certification and regular certification is that the alt's don't have to take the classes. We have to pay the university to do our interning, we get no pay, and have to fill out forms and get special approval to be able to have a job. However, the university pays our mentor teachers extra and gives them credit hour scholarships for each intern they take.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2006

In some ways it's not all that crazy that the states differ so in the specific tests that credential candidates undergo: education is, after all, one of the matters that the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights leave to the states.

The third MTEL that Beth mentions sounds a lot like California's RICA, which is a test on teaching reading and is required of candidates for elementary school credentials but is not one of the "hoops" for single subject - so CA and MA have more in common than that A, I suppose. (Stupid joke. Sorry.)

10. fine teacher

fine teacher New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Are there any study guides or information to study for the OPTE besides what is on the ceoe website?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

Official guides, probably not. But if it's a basic skills test, pretty much any resource will do if it helps you get up to speed on what the Web site says will be on the test. LearningExpress has a number of fine books in its Skill Builders series, and Barnes & Noble sells some nifty cheap little books that break out individual SAT test skills in its SparkNotes line.

How do you generally do on standardized tests or on writing on demand?