Confused

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, May 10, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2011

I don't really know what to do about my current situation at school. I have been a kindergarten teacher at my school for 3 years. Kindergarten was never my dream job, and I would like to teach 1st, 2nd, or 3rd eventually.

A first grade position is open at my school for next year. My principal has known that I have wanted to eventually move up since my first year. He says very nice things about me (directly to me, and to other people), gives me great reviews, etc. When he heard that the first grade teacher was going to retire (back in January), he spoke to me about the position. He said that when he had the ok to hire, we would sit down with the other first grade teachers and talk. He wanted to make sure I was still interested.

So, a few weeks ago he came to me and said that he was going to post the job, and I would have to apply and interview (this is not a common practice in my district-usually they just move people within a building). The interview is 1 hour long, and then I have to teach a 15 minute literacy lesson to one of the first grade classes. Six people are being interviewed, and I am under the impression that teachers from other schools within the district have applied for the job, as well.

I probably shouldn't feel this way, but I just feel really insulted. Have I not proven myself in my 3 years that I have been teaching at my school? Has he never seen me teach, or did I just imagine the 9 evaluations he did of me in the past 3 years? What can I honestly say during the interview that they don't know about me already? I heard from one of the first grade teachers that he is doing all of this because he just wants to make sure I'm really ready for first grade. It's not like I'm moving from kindergarten to 11th grade physics! I think that I have proven in the past 3 years that if I say I'm going to do something, I give 110% and do my best.

I'm just incredibly stressed out over everything. I think it's a miracle that I ever got a job in the first place, because I am horrible at interviewing, and I get so nervous that I shake. How on earth am I supposed to teach a lesson in front of everyone?! Plus, I honestly don't know if I can handle not being hired for the position. That would be very awkward and uncomfortable.

I'm seriously considering pulling out, even though I have my interview scheduled. I just don't know if I can handle the disappointment of not getting the job. Just today I had to close my door during my prep time to cry for a good 15 minutes. I'm doing all I can to hold it in now.

What would you do? Should I just suck it up and go through with it? I'm just such an emotional person, and I am so hard on myself.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

I would interview if you really want the first grade position. If other teachers from the district showed interest, your principal may need to interview. Some of the other teachers might be 15 year vets.....

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 10, 2011

Seems odd to me that your P would have told you about the opening, and then would be making you interview.

I guess if it is other teachers in district he has to? unless he want to look at the other teachers to see if one of them would be a good K replacement for you?

(hug) this is stressful, I feel stressed out for you!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 10, 2011

Seriously this situation kind of happened at my school last year. A teacher had to interview for another position and did not get it. Another teacher outside of the school did and now its pretty awkward just from the outside looking in.
    The teacher that did not get hired seems really jealous and upset.

It was weird. It was also my first year so I did not know the school dynamics too well etc.

You sound a lot like me and to be honest I would probably pull out. Just to save face. I know the other posters may not agree with me but this is what I would do personally.
    It would be an insult to me as well that I was asked to interview and they already know about me. Plus its not like your not certified in that grade. Its not that big of a difference.
    I wonder if something was seen or said that you don't know about.

Good Luck with whatever you decide and do whats best for you. Everything happens for a reason.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 10, 2011

They are doing this at my school currently. Honestly, I think it's to follow the "fair" process and not because they don't know enough about people. They just want to give everyone a fair shot. They are interviewing some outside people too. I know the two outside people have had at least 10 years experience while the two internal candidates are both 2nd year teachers, so I suspect the school may want to interview some people with more experience. Apparently someone in the building got really screwed over by that last year (I wasn't there yet) and the admin's excuse was that they had to jump at the chance at getting people with experience so cheaply in the tough job market.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

Like others have said, the other applicants may have more years of experience. And if you pull out now, you're as much as admitting that you feel like you can't handle the job. Go for it, and blow them away with an incredible demo lesson!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

I'd say stick with your interview. The P knows what you're made of. Does he know that you're a nervous interviewee? I'm thinking that the only reason he's interviewing is because there are other teachers in the district that have shown interest in the position.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 10, 2011

Maybe these other teachers have more experience and would get the position if it was just given away, but he WANTS to give it to you so he set up these interviews as a way to 'level' the playing field. And then he'll give it to you because you were the best interviewee, not just the one with the most experience.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 10, 2011

DP-I agree with you that it seems very odd. People move within buildings all the time and I've never heard of anyone having to interview for a job and especially to do a lesson demo, geesh.

What's your relationship with your P like? Can you maybe sit down with him and just lay it out that you really want this position, but don't want to jump through these hoops if you are not in serious consideration? Maybe ask what kind of odds you have at this point.

If I were you, I would probably not interview at this point. You never know what might happen, but if you really had it in the bag you would think they would have at least hinted at that.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2011

That's what the other kindergarten teachers told me to do (ask him if I'm really in serious consideration). The strange thing is, the other two first-grade teachers have told him that they would be happy to work with me. One of them keeps saying things to me like, "Look at what you get to do next year when you teach first grade!"

I think I'll probably go through with it all, just to show that I'm up for the challenge. I have a feeling my principal is kind of testing me to see how serious I am (?). I don't understand why he would do that, but I don't always understand the things that he does. I will honestly feel really upset if I don't get it. I may call in sick the following day with a "mental health day."

12. bros

bros Phenom

May 10, 2011

Perhaps it is just a formality? I know for people who work in public service, jobs have to be posted, but there is no requirement that they hire someone that doesn't already work for them for the position

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2011

The thing is, this isn't really normal for my district. There isn't very much consistency, however, when it comes to interviews. Some schools have done interviews when moving people within a building, but they usually don't. For example, last year in my building a teacher moved from 1st to 3rd. The year before, a teacher moved from 2nd to 1st. Neither one of those jobs were actually posted, and they never did any interviews. They just moved the teachers, and that was that. And now I have to interview and do a demo lesson?!

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 11, 2011

Where I am, they HAVE to post any openings. And offer interviews to anyone that asks for one, BUT that doesn't mean they have to hire any of them. Last year our assist. principal was moved up to a principal and our CRT, who was HIGHLY qualified, with all the proper credentials, wanted to move up. Our principal was required to post the opening and I was on the interview team for about 10 people. We ended up hiring our own person, because she was the most qualified and totally knew our school. It wasn't a 'given' that we would hire her, but it turned out that way.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 12, 2011

Well, now I learned that a LTS who has worked in my district/school for a while also has an interview. She's good friends and neighbors with the superintendent...Now I'm seriously considering dropping out of the run. :(

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Oh, DP, I'm so sorry. Don't give up hope yet. It could be that because she is friends with the super, he's making the P interview her.