Confused about Interview & Job Searching - Help Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Snix, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Firstly going to say sorry this is so long :blush:

Today I got a phone call from a private school I would love to work for saying I had been shortlisted for a position at their school next year. I applied for 2 jobs with them; junior school teacher (I am early childhood trained and would have LOVED this job) and support inclusion teacher (not really as motivated but applied at last min because it's a job & I just finished my masters in special ed). Last week I get an email saying the junior position may not be needed anymore since it doesn't look like anyone is leaving but the interview I am having is for the Support Inclusion and will be working with primary and high school children (I don't feel that comfortable with upper primary as it is).
    I also had a follow up email with the position description, the selection criteria I have to write and forms for 2 references to fill out. I have one referee who can do it but the other is meant to be my current principal or manager...but I don't have a current one, so who should I ask?
    The interview will also be with a panel...I have only had about 2 interviews in my 5yr teaching experience and didn't do so well due to nerves.
    It all seems like a lot of work/stress for a position I am likely not to get...but I really want to work at this school.

I have also found another position to apply for as a Kindergarten Teacher (children 3-4yrs old) being paid a state teacher salary but it is in a childcare centre (government is making all kindergarten teachers be university trained and slowly introducing this). Have never worked in a childcare centre before (did practicums at uni but feel more comfortable in primary settings) but am wondering if I should apply for it? It is just so hard to find work and there really aren't much options but I'm always worried if I get one of these jobs I might miss out on a future job doing what I really want to do. Just feeling very confused.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2010

I say you apply EVERYWHERE, whether they're showing openings or not.

Go to the interviews and get a feel for where you would be working. Give them your best shot.

You can always decline a job offer if you really feel it wouldn't be the right enviornment for you. But don't be too selective about applying; you may miss some hidden gems.

4. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Oct 20, 2010

Thanks Alice :)
    I did apply for the kindergarten job straight after I posted here.

I am also in the process of writing personalized cover letters for all the schools (no jobs advertised but can't hurt sending them) in my town and plan to send them off soon.

The job I was offered the interview for just really doesn't 'feel' right to me, they are after someone with experience in both primary and high school (which I don't have) and a lot of what is in the job description sounds so foreign to me. I think it's best to decline the interview and let someone more certain for it have a chance, just need to find the right words to do that.
    I know it sounds bad, and I've been beating myself up about it, but with the high level of work required before the interview (the selection criteria - reading it I struggled to find a way to connect with it as a lot has not applied to me) I don't feel I could give adequate time to doing at the moment as I am heading overseas in a month (to the good ol' usa) and am just starting teaching a dance class. I guess it's just bad timing :(