Confused about Clear Credentials

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ehimay10ins, Feb 10, 2011.

1. ehimay10ins

ehimay10ins New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Before I begin my question I just wanted to give you some background. I did not get my credentials through a program, but through 7 years of teaching experience. My lack of knowledge comes from never sitting through an orientation or advisement session.

I currently hold a preliminary multiple subject credential, expires in 7/2014, and a preliminary single subject credential, expires in 9/2014 from California.

It states that my renewal codes are R14R and R14T. From what i understand the credential is called a Ryan Credential.

Will one cycle of a BTSA program clear BOTH of my credentials?

Am I allowed to do a "5th year of study" for the clear credential? What are the advantages of this seeing as I'd have to pay tuition in order to go this route?

Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2011

I have never heard of a person in California getting a professional clear credential without actually going to school for it. I have known lots of people who have taught with an emergency credential but in order to continue teaching they need to be attending classes in the colleges. BTSA is a continuation from what is learned in the colleges with student teaching. My advise is look on the State teaching credential web site.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

Interesting question. You might want to take it up with the credential analysts at the nearest county office of education or possibly at the local Cal State University school of education.

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure BTSA will clear both, but I'd ask your district rep.