Confidence...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by SuperMissM, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Sep 26, 2008

I think I lack confidence. I am in my second year of fifth, after moving up from K, 2 and PreK. I love my class, they're great again this year, but I still feel like Im not doing a great job.

All of the kids like my class, all of the parents like it, other teachers tell me great things and so does my principal.

There are some people I work with that make me feel inferior. They make me feel like I am not doing anything right and I feel like they critique everything I do.

What can I do to make me feel better? Talking to them about this wont work because I dont deal well with confrontation...

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

who are these people that make you feel inferior? Sounds to me like they are jealous. maybe you should try not to deal with them as much as possible.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2008

Until you actually feel confident, you need to act as though you do. Honest. Put on a show for anyone who will watch it-- and do a great job. Make sure your clothes, your posture, your volume, the tone of your voice-- all need to exude confidence.

Your kids will start to pick up on it and treat you as if you HAD all that confidence. And soon you'll believe it yourself.

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Don't give these people permission to make you feel inferior. I am sure you are doing a better job than the co-workers who make you feel inferior. Trust me on this. Remember this...there is NOT ONLY ONE WAY to teach a lesson. If you have a different method than another teacher, that doesn't mean it is wrong..just different.:)

6. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

If the students, the parents, others teachers, and the principal like it, then go with it and stop doubting yourself. You obviously are a great teacher to have so many others think so. Don't worry what the other teachers think. You keep your head up, a smile on your face, and keep doing what your doing because it's obviously working. Never compare yourself to anyone else because we are all unique individuals with our own teaching styles. As long as the kids are learning and enjoying it then don't worry what others think!:thumb:

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 28, 2008

Fake it until you feel it. Seriously. If you don't feel confident, pretend you are. If you feel like everything is falling apart, pretend you have it all under control. Getting the hang of things in a new grade level is tough. I went from 5th to 4th one year, and I spent the entire first semester telling myself these nine year-olds are just not ready for the demands I was used to putting on 5th graders. Heck, some 5th graders are ready for those demands.

Give yourself more time. Make a list of things that are easier this year than they were last year because you already have an idea of what to expect. Then focus on one or two things you really want to improve this year. Maybe that is getting papers graded and returned more quickly. Maybe that is having all copies made and your desk cleaned off before you leave at night. Whatever you do, make the goals things you can actually achieve. Lastly, give your self a break! You are doing a better job than you think you are. And you, like every other human on the planet, has weaknesses that will always haunt you. Mine are cleaning and organization. I spent two hours yesterday at school excavating my desk. I have filing systems, piles, mailbox slots, sticky note galore, etc. but I will never really be an organizational guru. I've accepted that. I work at it constantly, but I refuse to beat myself up over this. I am so much better at trying new things, looking for new and interesting ways to teach the same concepts, and teaching art class. Grading papers, cleaning, keeping track of paperwork, etc is the bane of my existance and I will never be good at these. So I choose to focus on what I do well and work at the rest. I'm not perfect, but I'm good enough. And that's good enough for me. Trust me. If others are trying to make you feel small, it will only work if you buy into what they are saying. If you think you are good enough, they are the ones with the problems, not you.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 28, 2008

One of our teachers is seriously one of the top 2 teachers, in my opinion, of the whole school. This year, her third year, her confidence in herself is FINALLY coming out. She also had those overbearing critical teachers in the first part of her career. It took her a while to wade through the first year teachers and to realize the true colors of these teachers. I think she finally realizes she is well respected and that she does go beyond what is expected. I love seeing the new confidence in her.

9. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

Thank you so much for everything you've said. It all seems to make a lot of sense for me. I know that people that get critical are usually jealous of something.

Things went pretty well, the Assoc. Super came in today and seemed happy. I guess I take it a day at a time!!