Conferences

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 27, 2006

I'm a first year kindergarten teacher and have parent-teacher conferences next week. I am so nervous! What do you discuss with your parents during conferences? I saved copies of the assessments I did and I also typed out positive things (mostly social skills) that I have observed about each child and listed one goal (i.e. improve listening skills, communication skills, etc.)for the child so far. Thanks for any other tips you may have!

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2006

Sounds great what you've done so far. Our conferences are only 15 minutes, so I don't have time to say much at all. I go over all assessment data. At the 1st quarter conference we give them the report card, so we go over that, their grades, and why they earned that particular grade. I then make suggestions about what they can be doing at home to reinforce the learning at school. Parent questions fill any remaining time. Our students attend conferences, so sometimes I ask the child to share something about school.

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Oct 27, 2006

I discuss any testing we have done, report cards, behavior, positives and needs improvements. I also let the parents where the students need to be (especially in reading) at the end of the school year. A lot of parents don't understand how academic kindergarten has become.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 27, 2006

One teacher I worked with had a great opening line for parent teacher conferences. She asked the parents, "at this point in the year, after seeing grades, and hearing your child talk about school, how do you feel x grade is going for your child?" It really got the ball rolling and gave the parents a chance to bring up their concerns before she brought up her's.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2006

I've sent home letters to the families discussing upcoming conferences. I indicate that I am only allotted "x" amount of time so I want to focus in on any questions or concerns I may have or the parents may have at this point. I ask them to indicate any concerns/questions they may have on the sheet so I know ahead of time what they are interested in discussing further. This not only helps parents know that their concerns will be heard, it gives the teachers a chance to reflect and be prepared for questions parents may have. I think this may be a helpful tool to use for newer teachers. :)

7. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Oct 29, 2006

Open with positive comments to parents about their child. Discuss the end-of-yr standards for your grade level. Show a few samples of their work, point out areas most needing improvement. Ask the parent if there is anything else they would like to discuss. That is about all there's time to do during the 15 min. slot.