Conferences after a bad week

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 18, 2017

So I'm sitting here killing time on my dinner break during conferences. Yesterday and today were really hard days class-wise, like come home and take a bubble bath and cry and sort of wish I drank days. Oh, what a horrible teacher I am.

Tonight, parent-teacher conferences. The conferences I dreaded. I have been told my Tough Kiddo of the year hated coming to school last year, loves coming this year, and his so-so grades are a huge improvement from last year. My Mental Disorder Kiddo's parents feel my classroom is the perfect placement for him and his mood swings. My Goldfish Attention Span Kiddo has increased in his confidence.

Life as a teacher isn't so bad.

catnfiddle, Caesar753, rpan and 7 others like this.
  3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Oct 18, 2017

Those are the best things to hear when it feels like everything's going terribly! Glad you got some good feedback at conferences. :)

Backroads likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2017

Speaking of conferences, here are a couple of experiences from my class this week...one child in the class next door changed all the passwords on our communication methods (email, grade book, Class Dojo) so that all messages would come to him. He replied to everything as a parent and no one knew. This is a first for me. I had another student gush enthusiastically at the trip to Disney she took for the last couple of days when she was absent. She described her experiences with great detail...however, Mom told me she was home sick and has never been to Disney.
    Then there was the young lady who was taking her History test (open book). When I graded it she got almost every question wrong. I asked her if she had actually looked up the answers in her book and she said yes. So I told her to go back with her History book and correct the test. She looked at me with these wide eyes and said "I thought this was a Science test!" Another first for me.

otterpop, a2z and Backroads like this.
  5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 19, 2017

I would be furious! I'm kind of glad none of my kids are tech savvy enough to try that. I wouldn't put it past a few if they knew how.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 19, 2017

These are... these are priceless beyond measure.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2017

That child who changed her family's passwords is the last child in the class who we would ever think would do something like that. We were actually secretly admiring her because she is a 5th grader working on a 1st-2nd grade level, so this shows that she actually has some hidden abilities.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 19, 2017

:rofl::rofl::rofl: