Conference time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Mar 4, 2008.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

I will be attending a Young Child Conference soon. It started me thinking.

What is the best thing you ever learned at a conference/convention?

What does a presenter say or do that makes you feel like it is a total waste of your time?

3. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

The best conferences I go to are the ones that give me real world ideas that I can take back and use. I don't think my brain has room for most of the theory anymore. Although I have had two topic that have stuck with me all these years--one was about brain function and how music helps with early development and the other was about how different classes treat/handle money (Ruby Payne.) THAT topic was so important for me because I teach in the inner city and it always bothered me that most of my kids dress nicer than I do--and they're 3. That workshop explained so much to me.

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

I've been to many conferences in lots of different subjects, and I always come away with something - usually too much to try to implement right away!

The most recent conference I went to was last month's CAG (Calif Assoc for the Gifted). Besides great info on the gifted student, I took home lots of ideas to make learning fun (not just gifted students) and spent lots of money on books and games!

Waste of time workshop? One workshop I went to last year (when I taught kinder) was at a Success for All conference. The presenter didn't seem optimistic about kindergartners being able to write much (my own perception of her). I pretty much tuned her out because mine were writing a lot with details (we used Lucy Calkins' Units of Study for Writing).

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Mar 5, 2008

Best: A session at a NAEYC conference with Deb Curtis, Margie Carter, and some dude with a guitar. I didn't necessarily learn anything, but it was inspirational and reminded me why I do what I do.

Biggest waste of time: I can't even remember the topic, but the presenter read every single word from a power point--imagine Ben Stein. I wasn't close to the door & didn't want to be rude & leave.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 7, 2008

I have been to numerous conferences over the years and I have thoroughly enjoyed almost all of them. The best piece of advice I ever got about conferences/workshops is that if you come away with just one really good idea it was worth it. I have taken that advice and run with it and I have very rarely been disappointed. Every year I go to Frog Street's Summer Splash conference and I come away with too many good ideas- it's so overwhelming!
    I think that's the only drawback to going to a conference- sometimes you get so many great ideas you get overwhelmed.

The only times I have been disappoined (and it's been very rare) is when the presenter has obviously not been in the classroom in a long time and is out of touch with current trends/research.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

I am disappointed with conferences for K-2 that are don't include anything for K. I can sometimes adjust it myself, but it is frustrating when they advertise it for K-2 and they mean 1-2. My favorite training as a pre-k teacher (not a conference but a 2 hour meeting to help us meet state training guidelines) was having a panel of K teachers tell us what we could do to make the kids more successful in school. The tips were practical and easy to implement, some were just about changing your language or simple methods. I also have enjoyed Deb Diller's presentations (she has worked a lot with my district, even before she was famous :lol:, and we implement her literacy centers). I also enjoy the K-Crew because they are realistic ideas that I can take directly into my classroom. I agree that sometimes conferences are my time to make my summer list of things to do before the next school year.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 7, 2008

I agree with needing age specific practical tips for EVERY grade expected to be presented and to have those tips be able to be tweaked across the grades.

There is nothing worse than hearing things applied to high school kids (but "you can tweak it") without ever hearing elementary or middle school ideas "that you can tweak." It needs to feel relevant to me TODAY, not after I've thought about it. This can be a tall order if it is across the school grades workshop but like someone said, if it says K-2 please make it equal across those grades. We all want to take something home.

Also, I might want to know you have theories and research to back up your ideas but in reality I want fun practical easy approaches I can implement today not next year.